WD TV Live Plus and Live365

I posted this question in another thread, and realized I probably shouldn’t have. That thread was more about the release of the Plus rather than problems with the box itself. I don’t see how to delete my original message. So, I’ll start a “clean” thread with my question.

I purchased the “Live” at Costco a few weeks ago, so I was able to return it. I then bought the “Plus” version at Best Buy yesterday. No problem setting it up, as it was identical to the Live, except for the Netflix access, which I wanted.

I am, however, having a problem setting up the Live365 Internet radio. It worked fine on the Live, but on the Plus, I entered my VIP membership info, and the Plus can’t seem to connect. A few stations can play as I randomly checked, but it won’t load the Presets, Recommendations, or most of the stations. They all play fine on my PC. I’ve deleted the account, and reentered it, but it’s the same thing.

Anyone else try and successfully connect to Live365 on the Plus player?

Thanks!

Hi John,

I never use Live365 because I stream a bunch of ShoutCast stations (and others - inc. KROQ!) via TVersity.

However, I’ve signed up a Live365 account to see what happens (via the web at live365.com/wdtv).  It’s a free account but I don’t know if the 5 day VIP trial is active?

Sign in went smoothly enough.  Initially, I had no Presets and it told me so.

I’ve added several Presets via the web and they’re visible immediately and play fine.

Recommendations does NOT work, blue spinning circle going nowhere.  I tried rating some tracks hoping to activate it but I’m not sure what it’s basing the Recommendations upon.  I suspect that the account doesn’t have enough data yet and the Live365 interface doesn’t have an appropriate response, so it sits there confused.

All the stations I’ve tried seem to work though…

Additional Live365 Bug?

When listening to a radio station, you have the ability to Back out and navigate the Live365 interface while the music continues playing.  Trying to get back into the Station that’s already playing results in a break in play, which seems unnecessary.

PixelPower wrote:

Hi John,

I’ve added several Presets via the web and they’re visible immediately and play fine.

Recommendations does NOT work, blue spinning circle going nowhere.  I tried rating some tracks hoping to activate it but I’m not sure what it’s basing the Recommendations upon.  I suspect that the account doesn’t have enough data yet and the Live365 interface doesn’t have an appropriate response, so it sits there confused.

All the stations I’ve tried seem to work though…

Additional Live365 Bug?

When listening to a radio station, you have the ability to Back out and navigate the Live365 interface while the music continues playing.  Trying to get back into the Station that’s already playing results in a break in play, which seems unnecessary.

Thank you for the reply. Recommendations is Live365’s recommendations based on number of subscribers I guess, or popularity of the station. The spinning circle keeps spinning for me also. That’s the same thing it does on my Presets. I have about 30 presets, and the spinning circle never goes away, even after leaving it for 30 minutes or more. A few “channels” will show the stations, and I can play them. I even tried adding one of them to my presets to see if they’d show up, but they don’t. Still no presets for me.

The additional bug you mention is not really a bug. You can back out while your music is playing, and I believe you can do other things, like search stations or add to your presets. If you want to get back to the station that is playing, hit OPTIONS, and you can go back to the station without a break in play.

Thanks.

Thanks for the tip!  :)

Perhaps your issue may be specific to VIP accounts, although why that would be the case is a mystery.  We’re both experiencing the issue with recommendations though… but that system is apparently not dependent on any account-specific data.  It should just be pulling in the current list from the site…

Have you tried the Hard Reset + Factory Defaults Reset + Power Cycle routine to see if that resolves anything?

Really shouldn’t be necessary on a new unit and I’m all out of ideas. There aren’t many Live Plus users on here yet but hopefully someone else can chime in!

I tried the reset thing as a last resort. I hate having to reinput all those ids and passwords, but Live365 still won’t work. I contacted Tech Support and I got a reply that they had no complaints from other users, and will pass it up the line. It’s been 3 days, and no word. I’ve delted accounts, re-entered them, to no avail.

One other thing that happened since I “reset.” I am now asked for my network password everytime I go for  Network Shares. A window pops up asking for the id and pw, but is prefilled with “anonymous.” I hit enter, and it pulls up my folders. This is an extra, unnecessary step since I’m on a wired hookup. It’s never happened, both with the Live I had for a week, and now the Live Plus.

I’m beginning to think I should have stuck with the “Live” as it ran perfectly, no problems at all. So far with this box, I’ve had random reboots, can’t log in to Live365, now the password thing. At least, so far, Netflix is working.

JohninLA wrote:

I tried the reset thing as a last resort. I hate having to reinput all those ids and passwords, but Live365 still won’t work. I contacted Tech Support and I got a reply that they had no complaints from other users, and will pass it up the line. It’s been 3 days, and no word. I’ve delted accounts, re-entered them, to no avail.

One other thing that happened since I “reset.” I am now asked for my network password everytime I go for  Network Shares. A window pops up asking for the id and pw, but is prefilled with “anonymous.” I hit enter, and it pulls up my folders. This is an extra, unnecessary step since I’m on a wired hookup. It’s never happened, both with the Live I had for a week, and now the Live Plus.

I’m beginning to think I should have stuck with the “Live” as it ran perfectly, no problems at all. So far with this box, I’ve had random reboots, can’t log in to Live365, now the password thing. At least, so far, Netflix is working.

Go to settings - network setting and change ‘Auto logon to network share’ to on. The unit will not ask for your user/password any more.

I also have a Live 365 VIP membership.

I can sign in OK.

My presets do show.

The recommendations do not show.

VIP genre which have a lot of stations do not show. Less popular genre with a small amount of stations do show.

I can play all stations that are shown.

I don’t know if it is a current Live365 problem or something to do with the WDTV.

I’ll do some more checking.

OK I have rolled back the firmware on my WDTV Live (not plus)

I can now access the recommendations.

I can access all the VIP stations.

I can now search for stations quickly.

So it appears to be the WD firmware that is causing the problem.

Thank you RichUK for all the help. I appreciate you following through, and even rolling the firmware back to test it.

I finally heard back from support, and their suggestion is to do a reset. So, I’ll point them to this forum, and they can see what you found.

Thanks again, I’ll update this post as I hear more.

I’ve had the same problem for the last 3 days as well just spinning wheel with my VIP stations. I have been in touch with LIVE365 they believe it’s a WD issue with the WD TV Live Plus. I think it’s that as well. My return this and get the new Viewsonic Media player as it has all this plus Shoutcast services.

I heard back from WD Support and this is the response I received:

_"Thank you for your reply.

I apologize, this has reported to our engineering and they are working on fixing for this issue in a future firmware update.

I hope that we have met your expectations today and that you are satisfied with our service. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
Pablo R.
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com "_

That’s all. So now I just have to wait to see if it’s going to be addressed when a new firmware is released. I wish there was an older FW to revert to to get this working rather than wait and “hope” they fix it. Since it worked fine in the WD TV, the code is there, so a patch at least should be offered, until the full firmware is released.