Advisor
Darkbob

WD TV Live PLUS Canada

So I bought my Netflix Ready WD Live TV PLUS here in Canada at BestBuy.  Yesterday Netflix launched in Canada.  I went on-line, got my Netflix account and authorized my iPad.  WooHoo! 

Now I go to my WD Live TV Plus and select the NetFlix logo... and it says it can not authorize.

I called Netflix and they claim they do not authorize the WD Live in Canada (dispite the Netflix "Coming to Canada this fall" insert inside the WD box that I bought IN CANADA).  They claim that WD needs to issue a firmware upgrade to support Netflix (dispite having the Netflix software clearly loaded).

I called WD and they said I should call Netflix.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

--DB

Occasional Visitor
rickz

Re: WD TV Live PLUS Canada

Yup - just went thru the same exercise for netflix with my shiny new dot CA account in hand using my US purchased Live TV Plus (connected via Rogers internet from Toronto).. won't authorize.

Regular Advisor
Jackster

Blame game tends to indicate licensing disagreements.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no place like Raymond's.
Honored Contributor
richUK

I would assume that as it only went live yesterday there are both teething problems and deficiencies in local knowledge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WDTV Live Streaming; WDTV Live; WD Live Hub; My Book Live. Running Windows XP on a PC / Laptop.
Occasional Visitor
optimax

Same here, Netflix support said that WD Live Plus did not support the Canadian Netflix accounts and we should contact WD and ask for a firmware update. WD Support simply said that it was never intended for Canada. I already made my voice heard. It may help if we all do the same.

Honored Contributor
mkelley

It won't help -- WD is definitely aware of this issue and whatever will happen, will happen.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Advisor
Darkbob

Well I got hold of a "Level 2" tech at WD.  He said "dunno".  So that's the official answer at the moment.  WD has no clue about Netflix in Canada.  They are unaware of the WD Live TV Plus even being sold in Canada.  They do not support Netflix in Canada.

Is Best Buy selling grey market equipment?  Perhaps a truck got lost and ended up in Canada rather than the USA?  No idea.

Anyway no Netflix at the moment on the WD in Canada.

On the plus side, Netflix does support the Wii (which I have).  They are sending me a Disc so I can use my .CA account.  I'd rather use the WD...  guess I will just return this thing.  Best Buy gives me 14 days so I won't be out anything.  I can always get a non-Plus WD over at Costco and save $20.  But I'll hang on for a few more days and see if there's such a thing as a "Level 3" tech.

--DB

Regular Advisor
Jackster

This ought to be interesting.  If Best Buy did jump the gun, then there's going to be some awefully unpleasant experiences with folks purchasing the Live Plus expecting Netflix support.  As you said though, at least the wii supports it with a disc add-on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no place like Raymond's.
Occasional Advisor
jackie999

[ Edited ]

It's not just BestBuy ...I bought my WDTV Live PLUS a month ago  from NCIX Canada - I pricematched to Newegg.ca price. I bought it specifically for the netflix which it claimed to support. 

edited to add..I called support and was assured there would be an update within 10 days. I explained I bought the device intending to use with the netflix in Canada and if it wasn't going to be supported I would be returning it. He assured me they were working on an update.

Advisor
Darkbob

[ Edited ]

Sorry... just to be clear the WD Live Plus doesn't work with or without a disc.  The disc was for the Wii (you know... that kinda crappy game console sold by Nintendo?).  There's no support for the WD Live Plus in Canada at the moment anyway. 

--DB

Edit:  I just got word from my Level 2 Tech.  I had asked him when/if support for WD will be provided.  He replied that it will be up to Netflix to announce when/if support will be made for various devices.  So no new news.

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD