WD TV Live Hub file transfers

Hello,

I bought this to replace my old Xbox to watch movies/shows from the computer. I loved that it has a 1TB HD in it so I can have things stored in case I can’t use the computer.

I have tried moving things to the internal drive and the transfer rate is incredibly slow and often crashes. I am currently trying again with a 414MB file and it looks like it is going to take hours. This is wireless and I have tried wired with no better luck.

I bought this on boxing day and unfortunately it was opened (returned) and the last one. Is this a common problem? I am wondering if I have to return it for another…

This is not normal, I can transfer a movie to the internal drive of the WD TV Live Hub in few minutes, a 3 GB movie.

If it was open and is crashing, it is better if you take it back and ask for another, this is not a common issue.

selena_teresa wrote:

Hello,

I bought this to replace my old Xbox to watch movies/shows from the computer. I loved that it has a 1TB HD in it so I can have things stored in case I can’t use the computer.

I have tried moving things to the internal drive and the transfer rate is incredibly slow and often crashes. I am currently trying again with a 414MB file and it looks like it is going to take hours. This is wireless and I have tried wired with no better luck.

I bought this on boxing day and unfortunately it was opened (returned) and the last one. Is this a common problem? I am wondering if I have to return it for another…

It is slow- just not THAT slow… It can take up to 5-6 min. to transfer a 500MB movie over my network (gigabit) to the internal drive. Generally, I’d recommend using a NAS such as a My Book Live (or i guess now the MBL Duo) to store data and use the internal hard drive for stuff you watch frequently, or use the internal drive as a backup.

5 to 6 minutes for a 500MB over a gigabit network, then there is something wrong there, either network or possible HD. 

I was able to transfer at a rate of 40MB/s, from my laptop to my WD Mybook. 

My only issue now, if i reverse the transfer (WD Mybook to laptop) , the rate is only 10MB/s.

I know 40MB/s is still quite slow, since I’ve been seeing forums post having 80MB/s rate on a gigabit network.

Also if i copy from laptop to WD TV Live Hub the rate is only 10MB/s. 

antz0703 wrote:

5 to 6 minutes for a 500MB over a gigabit network, then there is something wrong there, either network or possible HD. 

I was able to transfer at a rate of 40MB/s, from my laptop to my WD Mybook. 

My only issue now, if i reverse the transfer (WD Mybook to laptop) , the rate is only 10MB/s.

I know 40MB/s is still quite slow, since I’ve been seeing forums post having 80MB/s rate on a gigabit network.

Also if i copy from laptop to WD TV Live Hub the rate is only 10MB/s. 

The hub has GbE but the speed is slowed down by other internal components so you will not get proper GbE speeds.

I know that there are a lot of factors to consider. 

But its quite weird that i can send a file from A to B at 40MB/s.

But if its from B to A, the rate is just 1/4. 

and what should be the average speed in transferring data to WD Live TV Hub? 

is 10MB/s normal? or still considered slow?

Just bought a WD LTV Live Hub and I agree that it is very painful to move files to the internal drive, especially over the network.

What I have noticed is that it is quicker to synchronize with an external USB drive. When doing so I get speed in the 18-20MB/s which is about 150Mbps and is considered fast.

Faster is of course better but 10MBps is actually 80Mbps (1Byte=8bites).

This is considered an ok transfer rate over network.

The reason it could be quicker to copy in one direction is that the read and write speed could be different on the two drives.

Also keep in mind that it is normally faster to read and write to a disk that is less used (i.e. 20% of capacity vs 80%).