WD TV Live - An unfinished product of poor quality - My review and explanations inside!

heavenlydmeonic wrote:

Not butt-kissing, this is simple fact: I tried three different players before the WD Live, and they were all pretty terrible. I was lucky enough to jump on the WD Wagon late in it’s dev cycle, and a lot of the bugs seem to be worked out (at least for me), so I missed all the “bad 'ol days”.

Well, I brought up the argument before that people who dislike their WDTV most probably haven’t tried any of the other players out there. I come from the TVIX 6500, that thing is just a nightmare ! Unstable, crashes, weird unsolvable bugs, no good homebrew and a buggy SDK. And look at ALL realtek based players, they’re just REALLY ■■■■, if only for the fact that chipset can’t even distinguish between 23.976 and 24 hz, which causes stutter every 40 seconds, I’d go crazy with such a player ! And then look at the so called ‘top segment’ of the market: the dune 3.0 and Popcorn c200 and read the bug threads. Man there’s tons of weird stuff going on there.

And then … there’s the WDTV :slight_smile: This thing just does exactly what I expect it to do: it’s stable and plays pretty much anything I throw at it. Yeah, I’m using homebrew firmware, maybe that’s why I’m so happy, I can’t deny that, but I just think there’s NO better player out there at all. And if somebody would like to proof me wrong, please do !!

1 Like