WD TV Life Plus Help - No Longer Streams MKV Files

Hello,

I have been searching and trying to figure out how to fix my problem for the last 3 hours and nothing seems to work. I am getting extremely frustrated.

Tonight I added some new .MKV files to my library, just as I always have done since I have used my WD TV Live. I went to go play a file, and it played but I noticed something weird. One of the files I added had a name of “thanks 15328” and I thought that was weird so I went to play it and it just got stuck on the loading icon forever until I went back. After this I tried to play some more files and NOTHING would play. I saw a couple more files that I added tonight had a weird name like that too, I had no idea what the issue was.

I rebooted the device, my computer, and tried to refresh my library and eventually other non MKV files worked. I even reinstalled TVersity and still no MKV files would play. I get the file not supported error message. would play.

I tried to even use Windows Media Player, as it would also see the MKV files but it would still give the same file not supported error. I even noticed my shared folder on my computer would have a little lock icon next to it, it never had that before and went away a couple times tonight but then comes back.

I put an MKV file that would not play onto a USB drive and connected it, and it played. So the problem is somewhere on my computer but I do not know where. I’m hoping somewhere here can help me, even if it isn’t a TVersity problem. I am at a loss at what to do, I have tried everything I could think of. I should note up to this point I have NEVER had a problem and all MKV files have played without a hitch. Suddenly my computer goes haywire apparently.

Any help is appreciated. I am running Windows 7 if that helps.

FAQ Section 4H and 4I

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/WDTV-FAQ/td-p/32135#playback

You could also post mediainfo of the files that don’t work.

richUK,

The problem isn’t just with the new files I recently added to my library. Many MKV files I have played in the past will not work either. They simply just don’t play, even though I know they work. They work off of my USB drive, so it just doesn’t make sense they wouldn’t play from my PC. The only idea I have now is to transfer some files to a different hard drive and share that drive to see if it works. Otherwise I am at a loss.

Thanks for any help you can provide…it is appreciated.

Does TVersity transcode?   

Just for grins, try playing it via Network Shares instead of Media Servers.

I’ve been reading about Network Shares (that is NAS, right?). Could someone explain to me really quick how to set that up?

The files have always streamed via WMP in Windows XP until I upgraded to Windows 7 in August and then I used TVsersity to stream and it has worked mostly without problems until last night.

Check out the knowledge base.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3787

I’ll try that when I get home from work today. In the mean time…any other suggestions would be helpful :slight_smile:

Thanks for the help so far!!