WD TV LIVE subtitle issues

dhstraayer wrote:

Well, WD doesn’t seem to doing much. 

Well, transparent SRT and messed up VobSub bugs are fixed in a yet unreleased firmware update. However, PGS subs don’t work (even those in m2ts that did work some revisions ago) and neither are A SS subs so to get colors and positioning right you still have to convert to VobSub.

dhstraayer wrote:

I took Miklos Juhasz’s special version of bdsup2sub, and “wrapped it up” with MakeMKV, mkvExtract, and mkvMerge, in a nice little visual-basic based program.  I even wrote up some documentation for it.  I’m willing to offer it up free and open source, if anybody wants it.

Absolutely! Why don’t you upload it to Megaupload or so and link to it?

I send Miklos a copy, as he offered to put it on his server/system.  When I get a URL back from him, I’ll post it.  In the meantime, if you send me an email to mail@dhstraayer.com, I can send it to you.

Miklos has hosted my code, there are links to it at http://sw-planet.blogspot.com/2011/07/wdtv-live-subtitle-issues.html

This is still a little hack-ey, and runs only on Windows (It is developed in the free Visual Basic Express Edition – all the source is available there if you want to try mucking with it).

I can’t promise first-tier support, but give it a try and let me know (mail@dhstraayer.com)  what you find.

+1 for better subtitle support. I have bad enough vision as it is and with almost invisible subtitles it’s impossible to enjoy my movies the way they were intended to be enjoyed.

1 Like

has this ever been fixed? I’m looking into buying the WDTV live player but I would like to watch anime on it and I really want the fansubs to be able to play properly. Does the current generation WDTV LIVE playback styled subtitles, and multiple subtitles at the same time? 

Basically have they fixed the problems that the OP has brought up? IF not any timeline on when they will fix them? 

Thanks

IntoTheVoid wrote:

has this ever been fixed? I’m looking into buying the WDTV live player but I would like to watch anime on it and I really want the fansubs to be able to play properly. Does the current generation WDTV LIVE playback styled subtitles, and multiple subtitles at the same time? 

Basically have they fixed the problems that the OP has brought up? IF not any timeline on when they will fix them? 

Thanks

Been wondering bout this as well. Last time i read some posts bout it was almost a year ago.

IntoTheVoid wrote:

No and no.

Man will they ever fix it or add it…

Same time i’ve last read bout it, some Popcorn Hour’s stuff already supports it but those are **bleep** expensive…

Please add support for non-english subtitles!

Hi mate, I read some of your posts re these subs issues.

I am having issues with the subs too, primarily the bottom line is being cut in half, perhaps due to excessive line spacing between the two lines. 

Do you know if this issue has been addressed in later revs my friend ??

I am considering upgrading firmware from 1.05.04b to 1.06.16B, but only if it fixes the sub issue. Apart from that, I am hesitant to upgrade. I see more pain than gain.  I upgraded about 14 months ago and it was so crappy I rolled back to what I consider a stable release, the one I’m using now.

Any advice appreciated,

Ward

New-ish owner of a WD TV Live…

I bought it, at least in part, because I read it supports srt files, and it just doesn’t as far as I can tell. They don’t even show when I’m looking in a folder where I know they appear. I just wanted to add my voice to the throng of people who’d love to see this resolved soon - at the moment, I might as well just bring my XBox 360 back from the spare bedroom and use that, as it also streams most of the same formats and ignores srt files.

First up, sorry, I should have lurked a little longer and read more. It appears the problem is that I’m using a media server rather than a network share (sharing things from my Mac is a real pain in the behind, I’ve found).

So, I’ve done the fix that was linked to on here, so fingers crossed it works.

Has this been fixed?  It has been almost 2 years since being reported and someone claiming to have a beta version a year ago that fixed it.

I am looking at adding a few of these to my home network instead of using my PS3 which doesn’t handle subtitles well at all without using PS3 Media Streamer (which I want to stop using).  Subtitle support is important for all the DVD and BR rips I have collected with imbedded subtitles.

What exactly? Playing back files over shares rather than a media server will give you embedded subtitles.

Hi,

Just to add that I’ve encountered this in anime too, where subs of overlapping timing are just dropped (last sub wins).

Why can’t this be fixed? Is it a technical limitation? Just stack the whole lot if timing is within the refresh space? Beats having dropouts…

Good question, WD just doesn’t appear to care that A SS currently only is a bad copy of SRT.

First time poster here, I looked for an answer to my problem but couldn’t find one, hopefully someone will be able to help.

My issue is that I can’t get subtitles (both .srt and .sub files) to display.  I am using local storage only since my computer cannot connect to the WD TV Live Hub over wifi.  So what I do is copy the .avi file to an external hard drive, disconnect the HDD from the computer, connect it to the hub, move the .avi file from the HDD to the hub and then watch it off the hub.  

If the film has subtitles then I have learned that I have to create a folder on the HDD, put the .avi and subs file in it, making sure that the subs file has the same stem as the .avi.  I then connect the HDD to the hub as above.   If I watch the .avi off the HDD then the subtitles show up fine because the subs file is in the same folder.  But I don’t want to do that, I want to transfer the whole lot from the HDD to the hub and watch it off the hub.  This is where my problems start.  When I look in the folder on the HDD I can only see the .avi file, not the subs file.  Hoping for the best, I move the whole folder from the HDD to the hub anyway.  The folder appears on the hub, the .avi file is inside it but I still can’t see the subs file.  When I watch the .avi file, no subs show up.

So that’s my problem.  What is happening, I guess, is that when I move the folder from the HDD to the hub, only the .avi is actually being moved, not the subs file.  So how can I ensure that the subs file gets moved across as well, when I can’t see it in the folder?

Hope this makes sense, many thanks for any help anyone can offer.  And yes, I do realize that one solution is to watch the film off the HDD rather than the hub but I would like to have all my films on the hub if at all possible.

You don’t need to create an extra folder. As long as avi and srt are in the same folder and named properly, they will be displayed. Apparently the HUB does not copy over the srts though, so you have to connect it to your PC via LAN and copy over all files from the HDD with windows explorer or another copy tool.

Many thanks for the reply, all makes sense to me but I’m just not sure how to connect the hub to my PC via LAN.  As I said in my first post I cannot  connect the PC to the hub over wifi so I am wondering what the alternative is - just a USB cable, perhaps?

LAN cable?