WD TV LIVE decreased picture quality

Looking for some advice. Firstly I have a 63" 3D Samsung plasma and up until recently I had been watching Hi-Def movies using a portable harddrive plugged in via TV USB and using the TV media player. As good as it was for a built in media player, it did lack some options/features of a purpose built external media player, and also the Harddrive did switch itself off at times during movie playback which did get annoying. So I went out and purchased a WD HD Live media player and after using it for a couple of days and watching the same movies again, I’ve noticed the picture quality has decreased, it has gone grainy compared to when I was plugged in via USB and using the TV media player which gave a flawless picture. I compared the TV settings using both devices and they are pretty much the same. Only thing I can think of that might make a difference is trying a different HDMI cable but somehow I think that’s a long shot.

Anyone have any ideas or something  I could try?

Thanks

Welcome to the forums.

Can you post the MediaInfo on one of the files you’re trying to play?

Offhand I suspect it’s not an HD file – the Live will play an HD file *exactly* the same as any device would via digital (it has to – there isn’t any option NOT to do so) but its ability to upscale lower res stuff isn’t as good as some.

The only other possibility is that you were applying some kind of processing effects to the Sammy’s built-in media player – but these same effects should be available for the Live as well.