WD TV HD Live Media Player Cannot access Network Shares

Hi

Since a few days ago, I started to experience issues not being able to access my Network Shares on my WDTV HD Live Player. It has been running the latest FW 1.06.43_V since this FW was released.

Previously everything was working fine, albeit a few times it would lose Network Share connection and I would need to restart my router and/or WDTV to resolve it.

I have my WDTV connected via Ethernet to my TP-Link Router/Modem.

I stream tv shows and movies from my HPNL40 server which I run Windows 7 Pro, which is also connected via ethernet to the same router.

HPNL40 and WDTV set to WORKGROUP

2 other Windows 7 PCs and 1 W7 Laptop ALL on same WORKGROUP.

My Advanced Sharing settings are:

Network Discovery = On

File and printer sharing = On

Public folder sharing = Off

Media streaming = Off

File sharing connections = Enable 40-56bit encryption

Password protected sharing = Off

HomeGroup connections = User Accounts

After trying to research my issue, I have also  Disabled Computer Browser (services.msc) for all my W7 PCs and laptop, except my HPNL40 which I leave set at Auto (As I want my movies and tv shows stream from this).

I have also edited my Registry for all PCs and laptop besides my HPNL40 set to NO

Regedit – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters

MaintainServerList 

And my HPNL40 set to Yes.

I can see my Connected PCs and also my HPNL40 on the WDTV under Media Shares, but I do not see any of them under Network Shares.  This worked previously.

I have also set a Guest account on my HPNL40 along with an Admin account for login. 

I also have a WDTV  Live Streaming Media Player in my lounge connected via Wifi to the same network and it accesses and streams Video from my HPNL40 fine.

I have tried factory resetting, restarting my router PCs, WDTV, HPNL40 several times, but to no avail.  I have also tried only turning on the HPNL40 and WDTV, with all other devices off.

The only device that pops up under Network Shares on the WDTV now is the Macbook Air I use, which I basically only use to surf etc.

All PCs and Macbook Air can access shared files with one another. The only issue is that my WDTV cant access any Network Shares anymore. 

I would really appreciate any help resolving my issue as it is driving me crazy. I am at the stage where I want to throw it in the trash.

Hi

As it turns out, it was the DNS addresses I changed in my router setting to be able to access Netflix from australia.

I changed it back to my ISP’s DNS addresses and my WDTV can access all Network Shares again.

Hope this helps someone.

Strange, I changed it back to the DNS server settings I had issues with to access Netflix and now the Network shares are showing up.

So I have no idea what addressed the issue.

Hello,

Thanks for sharing this information. Im sure this will help other users.