WD MyBook connected through WD TV Live doesn't work correctly

Hello all.

I have recently bought a WD TV Live and a WD MyBook harddrive. Just FYI, I also have a USB Wireless adapter ‘Buffalo WLI-UC-GN’ to connect to my Asus router (and wireless network with internet access).

The problem is that, as my wireless connection is 802.11g, I prefer copying the files to WD MyBook first, and then play them directly from there (instead of streaming).

For that purpose, I use a freeware portable application called Toucan ( http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/toucan), which keeps the folders syncronized between my WD MyPassport connected to my laptop and the WD MyBook connected to WD TV Live, via wireless network.

This works perfectly if I have both the WD MyPassport and the WD MyBook harddrives both connected directly to the laptop. The application checks the new/modified/deleted files in the WD MyPassport and keeps an synched copy in WD MyBook.

Still, if I try the same via wireless network, the synchronization occurs but all the files are copied as if they were all different (as it seems like all the files are somehow different). This obviously doesn’t make sense, when a single file changed (or so). I have the WD MyBook mounted as a network drive in my laptop.

I noticed that sometimes alll the files in WD MyBook are kept in non-capital letters (although they are not in the origin). Can this be the cause? How can I fix it?

Does anybody have an ideia why this may be happening to me? It looks to me that it should not be a problem with WD MyBook or the program, as they both work correctly when the harddrive is physically connected to the laptop. So WD TV Live (or somehow the network?), can be responsible for this behaviour, no? Anything wrong with my setup?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this, please?

Thanks in advance for any answer.

imo

its got nothing to do with your wd mybook or passport nor your wireless network.

its very likely the program you use to sync your hdds.

What do u mean?

If it works correctly with the exact same settings when both harddrives are connected directly to the laptop…

“…Still, if I try the same via wireless network, the synchronization occurs but all the files are copied as if they were all different (as it seems like all the files are somehow different). This obviously doesn’t make sense, when a single file changed (or so). I have the WD MyBook mounted as a network drive in my laptop…”

that is the clue…

it doesnt perform syncs as expected over the network?

Hello.

No it doesn’t…

If I do it on the laptop, it simply synchronizes and only updates/copies/deletes the necessary files, comparing the destination/origin folders…

If I do it over the network, it simply deletes the contents of all destination folders and copy all the files from the origin folders…

Thanks in advance.