WD Live always displays a pink screen

Hello Everyone,

I have noticed after my last firmware upgrade that my WD Live starts up in bright pink.  The only way I am able to fix it is to set my HDMI colours to RGB High as the auto choice picks YCbCr by default (as far as I can tell).  The resolution doesn’t seem to make any difference, but I keep it at the default 720p (60hz).

Also, regardless of the settings I choose, once the WD live has been shut off the settings are reset to default and I need to change them each time I want to use the WD Live.  Shouldn’t my changes be saved?

Im currently running 1.04.17_V which is the most current according to my WD Live.  I have also tried resetting to factory defaults with no luck.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as constantly setting up my WD every time I use it is quickly becoming a pain.

Thanks

Mike

When you mention the latest firmware do you refer to the beta or the official version. If you have the beta you will need to rollback to the previous firmware.

I meant latest firmware as in the autodetect feature available on the WD.  I wonder if I should try the beta firmware… Maybe that will work?

If the WD isn’t saving your configuration, that’s definately a bug…  

Out of curiosity, What kind of TV do you have that requires RGB and doesn’t support YCbCr?

My TV is a Dell w3707c.  Its a couple of years old, but supports 720p and 1080i.

So it looks like my WD live has a bug?  Would that be a software fix or am I looking at hardware failure?

Well, a bug because it can’t remember your setting, yes.   

But I’m still confused about the fact that your DELL is telling the WD to use YCbCr when it doesn’t seem to work with it.

Just for giggles, I went through all three settings on mine, and got similar results:  RGB High (a higher contrast image) RGB Low:  (normal) and YCbCr, which looks just like RGB Low.

Do you have access to any other WD players?   Live / Live+ / Live Hub?   Can you see if the same happens with a different box?

skyros wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I have noticed after my last firmware upgrade that my WD Live starts up in bright pink.  The only way I am able to fix it is to set my HDMI colours to RGB High as the auto choice picks YCbCr by default (as far as I can tell).  The resolution doesn’t seem to make any difference, but I keep it at the default 720p (60hz).

Also, regardless of the settings I choose, once the WD live has been shut off the settings are reset to default and I need to change them each time I want to use the WD Live.  Shouldn’t my changes be saved?

Yes, I agree, your settings should be saved.

I have been posting about this problem for over 6 months now. The WD box does not remember the video settings when the unit is powered off/on. This is the only device I know of that works that way. When I turn my WD box on, it usually comes up with the hdmi video output set at 720p (which my TV does not support). I manually go into the WD setup and set the video to 1080i 60Hz, and the color space to RGB Low. The next day, when I turn it on, it comes up at 720p and RGB High.

Please write to WD about this problem. We need more people to complain about this so that WD will fix this issue!

I have a WD TV Live and a Dell W3707C as well and am experiencing the exact same ‘pink screen’ issue. Every time I presss power on my remote to bring the device out of standby I have to go into video settings and change from Auto to RGB High to fix the pink screen issue. It’s incredibly annoying.

Ok, so this is definitely encouraging.  Here I thought I was the only one.

I will fwd this thread to WD and see if they are able to fix the issue. 

I spoke with Technical support and they recommended that I roll back by firmware version.  After supplying a link to the old firmware links I rolled back to: wdtvlive_1_2_21_V_Rollback, and now my WD works again with no pink screen and all my settings are saved on exit.  YAY!

For anyone who is interested in doing the same, here is the link to the firmware page

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

Good Luck

Hey, this is great information. Thanks for looking into this!

I got this pink screen problem right after I let the unit upgrade itself to Version 1.04.31_V.  I tried rolling back to old firmware without success.  I think Version 1.04.31_V wrecked my WD Live.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Zaph_ wrote:

I got this pink screen problem right after I let the unit upgrade itself to Version 1.04.31_V.  I tried rolling back to old firmware without success.  I think Version 1.04.31_V wrecked my WD Live.

Anyone have any other ideas?

What did you roll back to? Have you reset your unit since the rollback and have you tried setting your HDMI preferences again in the menu.

I rolled back to .17 and .22, and I also reset the unit multiple times at all rev levels both in the menu and with a paper clip on the side.  The HDMI setting doesn’t matter.  No matter what I select, it’s pink/purple when I come back.  I’ve tried everything.

It’s strange that a firmware update could screw up a unit so bad that rolling it back doesn’t help.  WD better fix this or I’m going to be pissed. (more so than I am now)

I have the same Problem as well with an Phillips LCD connected via HDMI/DVI  adapter. Only the Rollback to 1.04.22_V solved the problem durable.

I always had to configure RGB, high if i started the player (only with firmware 1.04.31_V). I wrote a email to the german support team and described the problem.

It would be interesting what they have changed in the new version to cause this problem.

I just dealt with the same issues being described with the pink screen. My player however would keep the video settings part of the time; but even if the settings stayed the same, I sill got the pink screen. I would go through the same process every time of selecting the Audio/Video settings I needed, and even if I made no changes to the settings that were already there and just selected what was already hi-lighted, the screen would then go to normal coloration.

The other issue that happened with the update was my external hard drive would only be recognized sporadically and inconsistently. I contacted support to let them know about both issue.

After contacting support though email, I went ahead and reverted back to the previous firmware, and, problem solved! :smiley:

I’m having the same problem.  What firmware revision numbers solved it?

Thanks,

sean

seanmc wrote:

I’m having the same problem.  What firmware revision numbers solved it?

It is difficult to pick a version that works for everyone because this problem acts a little differently on everyone’s system. The model of TV that you have is one thing that affects how good or bad this issue will be on your system. Someone on the previous page said that 1.02.21 solved the problem for him. I have had similar problems with every firmware version since 1.03.29, so for me rolling back does not fix anything. If you try rolling back, you will have to experiment. Version 1.03.49 works for a lot of people (but not for me).

any update to this i’m having same problems (the pink menus & on power off it not saving after i force it blue) also is component as good quality 720p as hdmi 720p? sorry i’m noob

I just bought this unit yesterday - was working great last night and I was very impressed. Woke up this AM and pink overlay on my screen. I’ve factory reset, powered up/down, unplugged re-plugged with no results (I have 3 other media devices plugged on this and they work fine) - hugely dissapointed with this device.