WD Live Streaming Media Player does not recognize WD Essentials Ext HHD (4tb)

Hi all,

I have a WD Live Streaming Media Player and a WD Essentials Ext HDD (4tb).  I have had these devises for about 3 months and I have successfully been able to hot plug the Ext HDD between my laptop and media player without incident until a few days ago.

I have tried hot plugging as well as unplugging the media player before connecting the Ext HHd.  The media player connects to the HDD and attempts to read it but nothing else happens from there.  I thought that it may take a while for it to read because there is about 600mb worth of files in the HDD.  I even left it reading overnight but when I checked it I could not access the media player (TV screen stayed blank). 

Oddly the Ext HDD works fine connected to my lap top and I can stream files from laptop to media player but it would be ideal if I could go back to hot plugging unless this is not advisable.  There is nothing in the user manual to say that it is not advisable.

I recently had the logic board replaced in my laptop & I am now running a different windows 7 (home premium) OS (I was using ultimate).  Is this an issue?

I also saved some data files on the HDD could these be an issue for the media player?

Any help would be better than reformatting the HDD and loosing all my files.

Check you drive for errors and move all non-media files into a separate folder with a leading dot, like

.stuff

and see if it makes a difference.