Unit fell on floor and won't turn on now

Hello,

I accidentally dropped my WD TV Live Plus on floor (hip height) and now when I’m trying to turn it on, the power indicator blinks for a second and turns off automatically.

Is there any way to fix this, or am I doomed?..

Thanks!

You could unplug from power, wait for about 10  minutes then plug it back in. Its worth a try and there is pretty well nothing else you can do. If you shake it can you hear anything loose inside? You could also connect via composite lead to see you get anything on screen.

Thanks for the quick reply,

I actually tried unplugging it and replug after several minutes, but it did not do the trick.

I also thought I would hear something loose inside, but when I shake it I hear nothing, and also when it fell only the outside case fell apart, the inside remained in one piece and seemed to be pretty stiff.

Do you recommend opening the unit and search for defects?

You could try but I doubt you could do anything about it.

Any more ideas?

Use it as a door stop, I think thats where most of them end up anyways.

@sdoolman

Is the ‘Heatsink’ firmly attached ?  If it’s not, the Sigma Chip may be overheating and the unit shuts down (Possible ‘Protection Mode’)

If you have access to a Mutlimeter, check for continuity of the circut board tracks… sometimes ‘breaks’ can be repaired with bridging wire and a soldering iron.

Using an ESR meter check all the Electrolytic capacitors, also check the Resistors.

Any local TV repairers in your Area ?  they could have a look at it for you. (assuming it’s out of the warranty)

Find out find how much they charge 1st though,

as it might not be economical to repair and cheaper to purchase a brand new device.

This is what it looks like inside. Mostly ‘unrepairable’ surface mount components. Good luck if you go the self repair route!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3830/wd-tv-live-plus-western-digitals-latest-media-player-reviewed/4

Thanks, appreciate that, I’ll try my luck!