Unable to play selected file

I recently bought WD TV Live, I cannont play any file from my USB (kingston 16 GB) flash drive or the network.  Which ever file I select, it says unable to play selected file check the manual for supported formats. I’ve tried all formats (MP4, divx, mov, mpg…etc), and nothing works.  It shows the the media server folders fine, but does not  play any of the files. The only thing it does is play Youtube videos (not interested in that!)

I tried 2 external USB drives, and it’s not a drive issue, and I forgot to mention, it’s not playing any mp3, and not displaying any photo, just display the same message “unable to play selected file, please check your manual for supported formats”… Somebody please help!

I have the same problem with my usb datatraveler 8gb.

With other model for example 4gb works fine.

The strange is that dtatraveler 8gb model works fine in WD TV Mediaplayer.

I think there is a issue about USB pendrive with WD TV HD Live.

I figured out what the problem is!

1. USB drive

It’s reading fine from a compact flash 4 GB, but not from my 16 GB kingston, or 16 GB Kingston G2 or 500 GB external usb drive. … and this is the reason: WD Live TV creates a directory named ‘.wd_tv’ on every usb device that gets plugged in, if it can’t create that directory and all the relevant files, it doesn’t play any file from the usb device.

2.  Network

WD Live TV was connected to the secondary network on my dual lan computer, after connecting it to the primary network, and rebooting, the problem got fixed.

sarmad5 wrote:

I figured out what the problem is!

1. USB drive

It’s reading fine from a compact flash 4 GB, but not from my 16 GB kingston, or 16 GB Kingston G2 or 500 GB external usb drive. … and this is the reason: WD Live TV creates a directory named ‘.wd_tv’ on every usb device that gets plugged in, if it can’t create that directory and all the relevant files, it doesn’t play any file from the usb device.

2.  Network

WD Live TV was connected to the secondary network on my dual lan computer, after connecting it to the primary network, and rebooting, the problem got fixed.

I fail to see how this post can be labelled problem solved. 

Why is the WDTV not creating the .wd_tv folder on the 16GB Kingston or 500 GB external usb drive?

I fail to understand why wd live tv can’t create the .wd_tv directory.

I ticked problem solved, because I couldn’t figure out what the problem was… I only knew of the symptom

If there was an option to check “problem identified”, I would definitely have selected that.

I don’t want to revive and old topic but I searched and never found a solution to this problem.

Im having the same trouble mentioned above with a 16GB DataTraveller USB Device from Kingston. When I plug it in the WD TV Live it lists the files (about a twenty .AVI files)  but when I try to play one there’s the “Unable to play selected file” error message and it tellls me to check the manual for supported files. 

I KNOW the files are ok because they play perfectly from another 8GB Datatraveller in the WD Live. So the prolem is between the WD Live and the specific 16GB Kinkston device. 

I read that the problem is that the WD TV Live can’t create a .wd_tv directory on USB device. But that doesn’t give a solution, and i’m still facing the same problem (the usb device is NOT write protected)

If somebody has any idea whats going on please tell me, im really getting dissapointed with such a basic functionality error. 

Thanks

Andresn wrote:

I don’t want to revive and old topic but I searched and never found a solution to this problem.

Im having the same trouble mentioned above with a 16GB DataTraveller USB Device from Kingston. When I plug it in the WD TV Live it lists the files (about a twenty .AVI files)  but when I try to play one there’s the “Unable to play selected file” error message and it tellls me to check the manual for supported files. 

I KNOW the files are ok because they play perfectly from another 8GB Datatraveller in the WD Live. So the prolem is between the WD Live and the specific 16GB Kinkston device. 

I read that the problem is that the WD TV Live can’t create a .wd_tv directory on USB device. But that doesn’t give a solution, and i’m still facing the same problem (the usb device is NOT write protected)

If somebody has any idea whats going on please tell me, im really getting dissapointed with such a basic functionality error. 

Thanks

with regard to if a .wd_tv directory is written. You can see for yourself by going to your network places and opening up the usb on the WDTV.  The directory is hidden so you will have to set your preferences to show hidden files/directories.

Can you play on your computer from the 16GB usb in network places.

Have you tried to play via folders instead of the media library.

Mine was working fine then I switched to a different movie. I got the same error figuring it was one bad file.  Then every movie I tried had the same error even the one I was just watching for the previous hour.  Do I need to reset the WDTV or something else??

Thx

rsilver30 wrote:

Mine was working fine then I switched to a different movie. I got the same error figuring it was one bad file.  Then every movie I tried had the same error even the one I was just watching for the previous hour.  Do I need to reset the WDTV or something else??

Thx

You could start by just unplugging from the power for a few minutes. 

How are the USB drives formatted? 

@richUK:

I Don’t have the WD TV Live connected to a network just yet. But I checked the 16GB device that doesn’t work on my PC and it doesnt have the wd_tv folder. The 8 GB devicee that does work has it.

Trying it via folders doesn’t work either.

@Bill_S:

I have tried disconnecting the WD TV Live several times for a few minutes and still the same problem.

I also upgraded to the latest Firmware 1.0.2.21

I tried the 16GB USB formatted as FAT32 and NTFS. Neither one worked. 

Thank you guys but i’m still stuck.

same problem with kingstone datatraveler 8 GB  (the new version: DataTraveler 100).

List  of files ok… but not playing anything…

like here my description post:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/USB-Flash-Drive-Compatibility-List-Thread/m-p/21613#M6614

I am interested buy an external drive usb 2,5’’ autopowered… but you tell here that same problem of kingstone is also in 500 gb external drives…

But only in 500 gb?

If its only in 500 gb I’ll buy a lower gb capabilities…

And the compatible producer of external autopowered hd full compatibles with WD HD TV gen 2 (not live)?

Thanks a lot

Job

I have the exact same issue. I upgraded to the .21 firmware and now nothing will seem to play. Whether over the network or via 2 different USB drives which I know work and used to work with the same files. I get the ‘Unable to play the selected file’. Is there any fix? I have even reset my box a couple times, left it unplugged, no luck. Also I can’t even playback YouTube and it says the exact error ‘Unable to play the selected file. Please refer to the manual’…

Should I try and downgrade firmware?

“THE PROBLEM”: Western Digital unable to play selected file. “THE SOLUTION”: Create a “Master Video Folder” on your storage device and create any amount of “Sub Folders” you want for each of your videos within the newly created “Master Video Folder”. “Western Digital Media Player works best working with folders. To clarify this further, it simply means, “each video needs to have its own folder”, otherwise Western Digital considers any newly added video information on your storage device that is not in a separate folder as being corrupt. Do this always and you will never have any problems with your Western Digital Media Player. Folks, this will work and you’ll love this system too because it allows you to setup “Category Folders” within your “Master Video Folder” also. I am really enjoying my Western Digital Media Player these days as I now understand how to use it correctly and believe me; you will too, it’s wonderful. No more frustration. P.S.: Before setting up your folders, you might want to consider formatting your USB Memory Stick or USB Hard Drive first to assure there are no problems left over from a previous corruption problem. Good Luck and Happy Viewing Folks!!!

Hi everybody, I just bought a WD TV Live Media Player and I’m experiencing the same issue with a Kingston Datatraveller 16 GB Flash Drive. I tried all the worksarounds here, but the issue continues. Are there some compatibility list that I should take care of ?

Sorry for my english… :slight_smile:

Regards

I resolved this problem after having the same issue.  I was using a Maxtor 100GB powered drive.  I had about 15 movies on that drive that had all played perfectly.  I then purchased a 1TB My Passport drive because it was unpowered which made it easy to connect and disconnect from my WDTV and to my laptop without a bunch of wires.  

I transferred the files INCLUDING the .wd_tv firmware folder.  Once I connected the drive, I experienced the same problems as described by others here.  None of the video files that worked previously worked at all.

The last post spoke about a master root folder so I tried that.  I created the following file structure on the drive:

-WDTV

----Movies

----TV Shows

----Pictures

…and placed my files under those folders.  Once I did this the files all played and the .wd_tv firmware folder was created.  PROBLEM SOLVED!

On a sidenote, this device is awesome!

would this folder categorisation help in playing .mov files recorded from a non HD camera and those recorded om HD camera.

I have set similar folder category on my seperate 150GB WD external drive:

Music

Photos

Videos

with Videos broken down into years etc 2008/2009/2010

all the videos from 08 and 09 are off LUMIX TZ3 non-HD camera and WD device will not play these .mov files as saying file not supported etc, yet it will play some of the movies in the 2010 folder that were recently recorded on kodak zi8 HD camera, but agin not the files recorded on the LUMIX

any ideas?

I’ve responded to you in your own thread – it’s ALWAYS better to post your own because older threads may get overlooked AND they are generally not applicable to your own particular situation.