Honored Contributor
mike27oct

Twonky Beam app is awesome for WDTV, Roku, etc.

Twonky Beam is barely mentioned by folks in these forums, other that to say they are having network problems and they can’t get it, and other apps to work on the WD.  So, I’m taking a moment to introduce the app to the community, and let you know it works great. It is an app you will want to have on your tablets and phones for using with your DLNA devices; especially the WDTV.

I recently learned about the Twonky Beam app.  It’s one of the easiest and best apps I have found for streaming from a tablet or phone to the WDTV, the Roku, Apple TV, etc.  

According to the Twonky website, “Beaming with the Twonky Beam Button is a simplified, streamlined use of Twonky and DLNA technology to accomplish the task of sending online media to a capable playback device on the local network, such as a connected TV or set top box.” 

If you have used the “Play To” feature of Windows with your WDTV, you will feel comfortable with this app right away.

This video link below, (posted this past December) is what brought the app to my attention.  Although it discusses the app being updated for use with Roku and Xbox 360 devices, it is also a good introductory video for WDTV.  The app is used in the same way with the WDTV.

Recommended video to get you started with the app.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vUVrFgq5PdM

*  The basic usage is to download the free Twonky Beam app for your tablets and phones.

*  Set it up on each installed device by signing into your YouTube, etc. accounts. 

*  Turn on the TV with the connected WDTV, and select the WD for the TV’s input.  Select which device you want Twonky Beam to connect to (WDTV).

*  Pick a video from your YouTube account to watch and when you see the Twonky Beam Button appear on the device’s screen, tap it, and your YouTube video will be playing from the tablet/phone to your WDTV and then on your TV.   It’s so easy.

(One Tip:  Go into Twonky Beam settings to adjust the video quality.  It is preset for Medium quality, but if you have a fast wireless network, then change the video quality to High; it makes a difference.)

Note:  When setting up my Roku for Twonky Beam, I was notified to open a MyTwonky account, and I did.  So, if you only have a WDTV and want to explore this free option, go here:  http://my.twonky.com/video .

For those who don’t know, the WDTV boxes use built-in Twonky Server software to run a lot of the activities going on in the media players.  For those tech-types who want to know more about Twonky, check the website at http://twonky.com/ .

So, why is this great app free?   I think it’s because we have already “paid for it” by buying all the many DLNA devices running Twonky inside of them.  So, Twonky wants folks to use their DLNA devices to their fullest ability so that Twonky ends up in many more devices!

If WD isn’t doing so already, they should inform buyers of their media players to download this app – right on the player’s box!

Honored Contributor
mike27oct

Re: Twonky Beam app is awesome for WDTV, Roku, etc.

[ Edited ]

Explored Twonky Beam some more using the iPad, and tried out beaming media from my PC to my WDTV.  Works great.  Here is a screenshot from my iPad of Twonky Beam playing through a 100-song, iTunes playlist to my WDTV connected to the TV and stereo. 

Very cool.  Photo may not show up here right away, so come back later for a look.

Twonky Beam screenshot2.jpg

Honored Contributor
mike27oct

It apparently took WD almost 24 hours to approve the image I posted for this thread, but it is finally visable now.

Honored Contributor
richUK

Thanks for the heads up. I have tried it with youtube and it looks very good. Installed it on my itouch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
WDTV Live Streaming; WDTV Live; WD Live Hub; My Book Live. Running Windows XP on a PC / Laptop.
Honored Contributor
TonyPh12345

Holy cow. What an awesome collection. I've played Jazz saxophone for over 20 years. So I can testify. :smileyhappy:
===Live SMP / Live Hub x2 / Live+ / Live x2 / 24 TBytes of QNAP + WD NAS ===
Honored Contributor
mike27oct

[ Edited ]

richUK wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I have tried it with youtube and it looks very good. Installed it on my itouch.

Oh, yea, it works with ALL the networkable iThings.  Here's a new use idea for old iThings lying around the house in non-use (iPhones, especially):  Put Twonky Beam app on it and you immediately have a cool "remote" by the TV for playing YouTube, music, etc on your WD-connected TV.  :smileysurprised:  Edit:  I have since done this and the old iPhone has Twonky Beam on it and it sits along with the other "remotes" now.  A bit tiny of a screen, tho;  I prefer the iPad screen.

Last night we watched an entire 45 minute YouTube show on TV using Twonky Beam (it was the Brit show, Penn & Teller's Fool Us).  Nary a hiccup, and the quality of video was really good.

Honored Contributor
mike27oct

[ Edited ]

TonyPh12345 wrote:
Holy cow. What an awesome collection. I've played Jazz saxophone for over 20 years. So I can testify. :smileyhappy:

Tony, I'm pleased you like the iPad display showing some of my awesome jazz collection playing with Twonky Beam.  I have been collecting jazz recordings (and other music) for years, and jazz is the largest part of my collection.  I believe I have a copy of every major jazz album either as LP, CD or eMusic download.  In a few cases, a same album is on each format!. 

So, if you ever need to hear a particular piece by a particular artist so you can learn it -- let me know.  But, only if you agree that Lester Young was "the greatest tenor saxaphone player who's ever blown"!  (Check your private msg here for legendary producer, John Hammond's affirmation!)

Honored Contributor
mike27oct

I can now add the Pogoplug drive to the list of servers Twonky Beam can access and stream from to WDTV and other DLNA devices.  It works fine -- if I select the correct folder named "Local Drives" (instead of names like "music" or "videos". Go figure!)

By the way, there is a PC version of Twonky Beam called Twonky 7, and you can get more info, etc. at http://my.twonky.com .

Honored Contributor
mike27oct

[ Edited ]

I seem to be the only one posting in here lately, so maybe I am talking to myself.  :smileysurprised:

No matter; I have discovered more "coolness" with Twonky Beam  app (aka TB).   Although there are preset "buttons" to go to sites such as YouTube, I learned from RichUK, it is possible to go to other sites that do not have presets by using the built-in browser which is actually the main screen.

So, for my first foray out there, I went to a site where I knew there would be some interesting videos; just to see if TB could beam them as it can YouTube videos.  I went to npr.com.  I went into the music videos section and lo' and behold, found some videos TB could stream and beam to the WDTV/TV.  Very cool to beam online video from iPad to TV.  The more current ones beamed fine, although some of the older posted ones did not.  I suppose there are some compatibility issues here.

Another thing I discovered accidentally, is that next to the word "Beam" that appears, is a down arrow.  They are adjacent to one another, so a couple of times I must have tapped the down arrow and not Beam.  Well, that is the download button, and I discovered later I had downloaded some of the videos I was trying to beam.  I suppose this could be handy for just viewing the videos on the iPad, later.

All for now.  If anyone else is using this app, please share your experiences with it. 

Regular Advisor
Nehptis

Love this app! Thanks for bringing it to the limelite. I was so jealous of atv and its airplay. But now my wdtv has it too! Keep the cool posts about what it can do coming.
Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD