Twonky Beam app is awesome for WDTV, Roku, etc

Twonky Beam is barely mentioned by folks in these forums, other that to say they are having network problems and they can’t get it, and other apps to work on the WD.  So, I’m taking a moment to introduce the app to the community, and let you know it works great. It is an app you will want to have on your tablets and phones for using with your DLNA devices; especially the WDTV.

I recently learned about the Twonky Beam app.  It’s one of the easiest and best apps I have found for streaming from a tablet or phone to the WDTV, the Roku, Apple TV, etc.  

According to the Twonky website, “Beaming with the Twonky Beam Button is a simplified, streamlined use of Twonky and DLNA technology to accomplish the task of sending online media to a capable playback device on the local network, such as a connected TV or set top box.” 

If you have used the “Play To” feature of Windows with your WDTV, you will feel comfortable with this app right away.

This video link below, (posted this past December) is what brought the app to my attention.  Although it discusses the app being updated for use with Roku and Xbox 360 devices, it is also a good introductory video for WDTV.  The app is used in the same way with the WDTV.

Recommended video to get you started with the app.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vUVrFgq5PdM

*  The basic usage is to download the free Twonky Beam app for your tablets and phones.

*  Set it up on each installed device by signing into your YouTube, etc. accounts. 

*  Turn on the TV with the connected WDTV, and select the WD for the TV’s input.  Select which device you want Twonky Beam to connect to (WDTV).

*  Pick a video from your YouTube account to watch and when you see the Twonky Beam Button appear on the device’s screen, tap it, and your YouTube video will be playing from the tablet/phone to your WDTV and then on your TV.   It’s so easy.

(One Tip:  Go into Twonky Beam settings to adjust the video quality.  It is preset for Medium quality, but if you have a fast wireless network, then change the video quality to High; it makes a difference.)

Note:  When setting up my Roku for Twonky Beam, I was notified to open a MyTwonky account, and I did.  So, if you only have a WDTV and want to explore this free option, go here:  http://my.twonky.com/video .

For those who don’t know, the WDTV boxes use built-in Twonky Server software to run a lot of the activities going on in the media players.  For those tech-types who want to know more about Twonky, check the website at http://twonky.com/ .

So, why is this great app free?   I think it’s because we have already “paid for it” by buying all the many DLNA devices running Twonky inside of them.  So, Twonky wants folks to use their DLNA devices to their fullest ability so that Twonky ends up in many more devices!

If WD isn’t doing so already, they should inform buyers of their media players to download this app – right on the player’s box!

Explored Twonky Beam some more using the iPad, and tried out beaming media from my PC to my WDTV.  Works great.  Here is a screenshot from my iPad of Twonky Beam playing through a 100-song, iTunes playlist to my WDTV connected to the TV and stereo. 

Very cool.  Photo may not show up here right away, so come back later for a look.

It apparently took WD almost 24 hours to approve the image I posted for this thread, but it is finally visable now.

Thanks for the heads up. I have tried it with youtube and it looks very good. Installed it on my itouch.

Holy cow. What an awesome collection. I’ve played Jazz saxophone for over 20 years. So I can testify. :slight_smile:

richUK wrote:

Thanks for the heads up. I have tried it with youtube and it looks very good. Installed it on my itouch.

Oh, yea, it works with ALL the networkable iThings.  Here’s a new use idea for old iThings lying around the house in non-use (iPhones, especially):  Put Twonky Beam app on it and you immediately have a cool “remote” by the TV for playing YouTube, music, etc on your WD-connected TV.  :dizzy_face:  Edit:  I have since done this and the old iPhone has Twonky Beam on it and it sits along with the other “remotes” now.  A bit tiny of a screen, tho;  I prefer the iPad screen.

Last night we watched an entire 45 minute YouTube show on TV using Twonky Beam (it was the Brit show, Penn & Teller’s Fool Us).  Nary a hiccup, and the quality of video was really good.

TonyPh12345 wrote:
Holy cow. What an awesome collection. I’ve played Jazz saxophone for over 20 years. So I can testify. :slight_smile:

Tony, I’m pleased you like the iPad display showing some of my awesome jazz collection playing with Twonky Beam.  I have been collecting jazz recordings (and other music) for years, and jazz is the largest part of my collection.  I believe I have a copy of every major jazz album either as LP, CD or eMusic download.  In a few cases, a same album is on each format!. 

So, if you ever need to hear a particular piece by a particular artist so you can learn it – let me know.  But, only if you agree that Lester Young was “the greatest tenor saxaphone player who’s ever blown”!  (Check your private msg here for legendary producer, John Hammond’s affirmation!)

I can now add the Pogoplug drive to the list of servers Twonky Beam can access and stream from to WDTV and other DLNA devices.  It works fine – if I select the correct folder named “Local Drives” (instead of names like “music” or “videos”. Go figure!)

By the way, there is a PC version of Twonky Beam called Twonky 7, and you can get more info, etc. at http://my.twonky.com .

I seem to be the only one posting in here lately, so maybe I am talking to myself.  :dizzy_face:

No matter; I have discovered more “coolness” with Twonky Beam  app (aka TB).   Although there are preset “buttons” to go to sites such as YouTube, I learned from RichUK, it is possible to go to other sites that do not have presets by using the built-in browser which is actually the main screen.

So, for my first foray out there, I went to a site where I knew there would be some interesting videos; just to see if TB could beam them as it can YouTube videos.  I went to npr.com.  I went into the music videos section and lo’ and behold, found some videos TB could stream and beam to the WDTV/TV.  Very cool to beam online video from iPad to TV.  The more current ones beamed fine, although some of the older posted ones did not.  I suppose there are some compatibility issues here.

Another thing I discovered accidentally, is that next to the word “Beam” that appears, is a down arrow.  They are adjacent to one another, so a couple of times I must have tapped the down arrow and not Beam.  Well, that is the download button, and I discovered later I had downloaded some of the videos I was trying to beam.  I suppose this could be handy for just viewing the videos on the iPad, later.

All for now.  If anyone else is using this app, please share your experiences with it. 

Love this app! Thanks for bringing it to the limelite. I was so jealous of atv and its airplay. But now my wdtv has it too! Keep the cool posts about what it can do coming.

@Nehptis

Nice of you to stop by this thread and leave your comments.  Finally, I am not alone in here.  :smiley:

I am still discovering the capabilities of TB, and will definitely share any additional coolness about it here.  You please do the same.

I have a question or two for anyone reading this:

I have downloaded a few videos with TB, and they are in a TB folder called Downloads that is trapped somewhere inside my iPad.  I only see it when in Twonky Beam.  I would like to know how to locate where they are stored in the iPad so I can transfer them to my Win PC.

I have not yet installed Twonky 7 on my PC due to lack of time to try it out.  Has anyone done this, and can they share how they are using it?

Thank you for the info on Twonky. I’m always trying to find  a better media server. No one server seems to do all that I would like. Twonky Beam worked on my phone, but I haven’t tried this on my pc yet. It looks like they charge for the pc version. But it seems pretty good, so I will check it out when I get some time.

@Mike You may need to install an app that lets u browse ios folders to find the file.

Btw just discovered that the TB app works with Playon! Just keeps getting better.

Now two questions:

1). Anyone figured out how to beam pandora from phone or ipad to wdtv?

1. im using the TB app. What is the diff between it and the Belkin app for iphone? They look the same.

For those interested in other apps besides Twonky Beam that will work with the WDTV and other DLNA devices, here is something I posted in these forums a couple of months ago.  (I have updated the list to now include Twonky Beam.)

I have these six iPad/iPhone apps installed for accessing the network data (i.e. media player so they can play on my iPad or WD player and be directed from the iPad./iPhone.  (Some of the apps are also in Android versions.)

1.  Pogoplug app – specific for using with a Pogoplug device; enables access from anywhere on the internet. for streaming; not just within local network.

2.  VLC Streamer app – streams movies; i.e. ISO, MKV files; even DVDs within local network.  CPU intensive,

3.  WDTVMedia HD – streams DLNA compatible files (music, movies, photos) to/from media player to iThings; for local network use only.

1. FileBrowser – access your local network like you can from your PC and play stuff on iPad.  Can be setup for outside network, too.

2. AiCloud – specific to my ASUS router; similar features as FileBrowser, enables access from anywhere on the internet.; not just within local network.

6.  Twonky Beam – One of my favorite apps that enables playing audio/video/photo media to/from iPad, WDTV, Roku, etc.  I like that it enables iTunes playlists to play music from my iTunes folder on my PC to the iPad or WDTV, Roku, etc.  Only app I have found that can deal with playlists, and it does very well.  Easy to watch YouTube videos beamed to WDTV, etc.

Search this forum for the names of these apps, as I have written something here about all of them. 

A gigabit network and wireless N w/5G connection really helps these apps to work well.  A fairly fast PC does too.

JohninLA wrote:

Thank you for the info on Twonky. I’m always trying to find  a better media server. No one server seems to do all that I would like. Twonky Beam worked on my phone, but I haven’t tried this on my pc yet. It looks like they charge for the pc version. But it seems pretty good, so I will check it out when I get some time.

I believe the Twonky 7 program is free for PC, but if you want the Twonky server program, I think they do charge for that, so check out Twonky 7 first to get started.  It might be all that is needed.

Nehptis wrote:
@Mike You may need to install an app that lets u browse ios folders to find the file.> I have only had my iPad for 2+ months, and have yet to connect it to my PC – since I do not want to dump all my iTunes folder into it, I have no sense of urgency.  But, your suggestion gives me more reasons to do so.

Btw just discovered that the TB app works with Playon! Just keeps getting better.> Since I do not use PlayOn, tell us how you use it and how you will get additional use with TB.

Now two questions:

1). Anyone figured out how to beam pandora from phone or ipad to wdtv?> Can’t seem to find one.  This sounds like something pandora ought to add to their app.  Same can be said for Slacker, a similar to Pandora program, I use.

1. im using the TB app. What is the diff between it and the Belkin app for iphone? They look the same.> I took at look at this in the app store.  They say it is powered by Twonky, and they do look (and are) the same, except there is a “hot button” for Belkin, along with YouTube and other sites.  Personally, I would rather not have a product-specific version of Twonky Beam, so prefer the “original” Twonky.  Not a bad idea for Belkin to do, though.  Hey, WD folks, are you reading this?  Belkin has one-up on you here!  Custom version of Twonky Beam for a small fee to you!  > This leads me to want to ask Twonky to release a next version of TB, we the user, can customize.  Why not!

mike27oct wrote:

JohninLA wrote:

I believe the Twonky 7 program is free for PC, but if you want the Twonky server program, I think they do charge for that, so check out Twonky 7 first to get started.  It might be all that is needed.

It looks like Twonky 7 is only available in Server and is not free. I’ve been using PlayOn and Serviio, are there advantages in Twonky not available in those servers? Thanks!

JohninLA wrote:> It looks like Twonky 7 is only available in Server and is not free. I’ve been using PlayOn and Serviio, are there advantages in Twonky not available in those servers? Thanks!

Wow, this is an interesting and very recent development.  If I click on the link to mytwonky ( http://my.twonky.com/video )which I posted in the first message here, we do not go to the Twonky 7 page now, we go to a “Notice” page that says:

Notice

As of 4/2/2013, my.twonky.com is no longer active. We appreciate your support of the site, and we recommend that you use our application Twonky Beam (Android, iOS) to find and discover great video content from around the web and beam it to your connected devices (Apple TV, Roku, Xbox, AT&T U-Verse, DLNA). You can also use the latest Twonky Server to configure your Online Feeds for beaming and playing content in your connected home.

OK, understood, basically not free anymore, but what if someone has the free Twonky 7 installed?  Then what?

It so happens that I downloaded the program from Twonky last month; I just had not installed it.  So I did so today.  Yes, it runs, yes, my WDTV sees it as a server and media can be played to my WD via Twonky 7.  So, what happens if I click on mytwonky link within the program?  Well, I see the same Notice as above, and with a second paragraph added that says:

Please note that if you are connecting via the Twonky 7 Free settings page, you are no longer required to login. Your free server will continue to function. You will no longer have access to the online feeds previously configured via myTwonky.com

OK, so got that, too.  This means I continue to have the server linked to my PC and other home network files, but I cannot link to outside sources such as YouTube, etc.  Even if I had set up my account before the “cut off” and added outside sources, they would not work today.  Twonky 7 as been transformed into Twonky Manager.

Bottom line for me is:  I can do much of what Twonky 7 can do without needing it, such as use Win 7’s “Play To”  or use my WDTV to access my PC as a “Media server” (or Network shares).  So, I am uninstalling Twonky 7 after writing this message.  Don’t need/want it.

The name of the installation file I downloaded from Twonky is named TwonkyFree-7.1.2.exe , so if anyone wants to find it on the web, download and try it out, go for it.  If the file cannot be found, let me know, and we can figure out a way to get it to you, perhaps.  Personally, I would pass on this, now that I have seen it in action, AND I have the very cool , and free, Twonky Beam program to use.

Now, the new Twonky Manager (with built-in Twonky Server) for $19.95 is a different matter, so if anyone here decides to download and install that, please give us a report regarding its usefullness over and above Twonky Beam, and other ways we have to serve up media.

Another Twonky Beam recent discovery:

With Twonky Beam, we know we can beam media from the iPad to the WDTV, and I’ve discovered that Twonky Beam can be set up as a Media Server that the WD can see and access from the Media servers menu. Same holds true for the PC – it can see the Twonky Beam as a server and like the WD, it can access and play media residing in Twonky Beam on the iPad (e.g. videos I downloaded with TB to iPad). Here’s how:

Setting Twonky Beam up as a Server on the iPad

Go into the TB settings, then into Device Access Settings and check every box. Here is a screen shot:

device access settings.JPG

Save and exit, and if your router shows you the names of devices connected to the network, you will soon see “Twonky Server” listed on the router’s client list (when TB running on iPad).  I saw the device name changed on my router from  being “My iPad” to “Twonky Server”, and when the TB app is closed it will revert back to the device name of “My iPad” again.

Next, go into your “Network” tab in Windows Explorer, and double-click on “Network” and you will see Twonky Server icon listed with the other devices (you might have to refresh screen).

Double-click on the Twonky Server icon, and Windows will go searching for a driver, and when it finds it it will complete the install of Twonky Server into your network. Done.

Now, access Media server on the WD menu, and you should see “Twonky Beam” as one of the listed servers.

You can now access Twonky Beam from the WD and explore for anything you would like to stream from TB app, 

Then, do same from your PC by opening Windows Media Player.  Under Other Libraries you will see  Twonky Beam listed, so open it and go on in and look around. 

In either case, if you have not downloaded any videos with TB, you may not see any video media yet, but I can see and play the six videos I have downloaded with TB.  I can also see photos and other media TB has cataloged from other sources.  You now have “two-way” access TO and FROM the Twonky Beam app. on your mobile device, so explore what you can do with this new capability.

I have a WD TV Live (first model), with 1.06.15_V firmware.

I have installed TwonkyBeam on my Android phone.

My WDTVLive is connected by wire, while my phone (obviously) wireless.

When I try to Beam whatever video (from Youtube, Vimeo, ecc.) it gives me error “media is not supported or is invalid”.

Where is the problem?