Two different players will not play mkvs properly (black screen and player locks up)

I checked to be sure both had the latest firmware but nothing helps.  Both lock up after playing for a while.  Sometimes it’ll go black and come back but not always.  Not sure what the problem can be?

Probably a bad encode that the WDTV crashes out on. 

They are actually all my encodes which perfectly work on WMP (with codecs) and XBMC.  It’s not my mkvs.

You cannot compare hardware and software players, they are two different things.

You could post the mediainfo text for one of the files that does not play. Untick / tick the boxes if you do not want the extras

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Also how are you playing these files, directly connected drive or via network - shares or media server.

I will paste the details of one of the files when I’m back home but so far the only player that gives me any issues with mkv files is the wdtv player.  I have tested different tvs and dvd players that all support playback from a harddrive.  The same movie plays perfectly.  In all honestly, if I knew tvs / dvd players were able to play mkvs as well as they do, I would have never purchased these players.

I have the wd tv players using the latest firmwares + hard drive directly connected to the players.   The black screens happens randomly.  it is not in the same spot always