Torrent with subtitle issues

Sorry I am still all new to this.

I have downloaded a torrent with subtitles, when I have it in my LIVE directory, in my folder I have the avi and a sub file. Now how do I get to play at the same time? Or how do I get the subtitles to actually work?

I may have a couple follow up questions for someone who can help out.

Thanks

What is your live directory and where is it

Are you playing media via network shares / media server or from directly connected drive.

Does the SRT file have exactly the same name as the avi.

Have you turned on the subtitles.

What WD player do you have - model number

The other question too, When you say " sub file" are you actually saying the file extension is .sub?

If so … Then this little info from a Google search …

Some video subtitles use text. Others use graphics. So, if the video that you downloaded uses the graphics method, you will have a large .sub file containing the subtitle graphics, and a smaller .idx file. The IDX file tells your video player which subtitle graphics to show during which frames.

So, (i havent tested this externally … i always mux these internally with MKVmerge)

if you have a .sub file and an .idx it needs to be exactly the same name as the video file

eg.

Riddick.mkv

Riddick.sub

Riddick.idx

If the “sub” file (abbreviation for “Subtitle”) your were referring to, is an .srt then it needs to be

exactly the same name as the video file.

eg.

Riddick.mkv

Riddick.srt

And as richUK enquired: Are you playing media via network shares / media server or from directly connected drive ?

Media Server “DLNA” in a lot of cases is not external subtitle friendly

(Network and Local drives for external .srt subtitles work fine … for me anyways)

Thank you it was as simply as making sure the files had the exact name.