Switching from TV Live Hub to TV Live

I currently have a TV Live Hub ( WDBABZ0010BBK), but I think the internal hard drive is dying (Takes a long time to find files, it stops playing files in the middle of the video and goes back to the main screen, sometimes completely crashes and restarts itself). The WDBABZ0020BBK replacement is $330, but I’m wondering if I can’t do the same thing with the TV Live ( WDBHG70000NBK) and an external 2 TB hard drive, which would cost me $240. Would I notice ANY difference in the new setup? What’s the hardware like in the TV Live product? Am I going to notice any sort of slowdown coming from the TV Live Hub? Will there be anything I can’t do/play that I currerntly can with the TV Live Hub? Are there recommended hard drives and enclosures? I’m thinking about using the Western Digital WD AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB hard drive and the Rosewill METAS BLACK Rigid Aluminum Body and ABS plastic top cover 3.5" USB3.0 & eSATA External Enclosure http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182265

Have you tried an external hard drive on the Hub?

I haven’t. Would I notice ANY difference between using the external hard drive and the internal hard drive?

I don’t know but you seem to think there is something wrong with the internal drive, personally I’m not sure that is the problem. 

With the sypmtoms I’m experiencing, what else could it be? The hard drive isn’t overstuffed-it has about 800 GBs on it. Also, what happens if/when the hard drive does die? Will the device continue to operate with a dead hard drive, acting as a streaming device, and reading from the external hard drive, or will it cease to operate at all?

It actually just crashed and restarted. I have a folder full of videos. I clicked Play on the folder, and once the first file started (Which took about a minute), I tried to skip to the next file (I have it set to randomly skip through the files), and it wouldn’t do it. This is a new problem that has just started. It’s not the batteries, as I’ve replaced the batteries with new ones, and it does allow me to do other commands, just from time to time it won’t skip to the next file. Since it wouldn’t do it this time, I tried to stop the playback, and this caused the device to crash and restart.

It will operate without the drive and you can also pop the lid and replace the drive.

What about just replacing the drive in my device? What hard drives should I look at? Be nice to have a 1.5TB or 2TB drive inside. Anything I’d need to do to the drive or just remove the old one and put the new one in it’s place?