Subtittles on .MKV

Hi,

I just converted my DVD (The Lord of the Rings - The return of the King) into a .MKV file. I used MakeMKV v1.6.3. No optinos were made (default options). The problem is that subtitles are not readable. Subtitleslooks like a printer when out of ink. Can you help me? Thanks

WDTV Live FW 1.04.17

I think you have to extract the sub from the dvd and make it a srt.

Use mkvtools to extract t he subtitle track as an idx/sub pair. They should be named as the original mkv file.

You should use mkvtools too to remove the subtitle track from the original file to avoid confusion about which subs are selected.

Thers are  ABSOLUTELY NO  REASONS to make it a  .srt file, it gives a lot of other problems.

Cocovanna

valente274 wrote:
Subtitleslooks like a printer when out of ink.

As mentioned here already.

Please, where I can get MKVTools? I downloaded this file “mkvtools2.4.4.zip” but inside there’s no file to run and install MKVtools. Can you help? Thanks

Download MKV Toolnix 4.4.0 and start mmg.exe.

valente274 wrote:

Please, where I can get MKVTools? I downloaded this file “mkvtools2.4.4.zip” but inside there’s no file to run and install MKVtools. Can you help? Thanks

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/downloads.html

or if you run windows the direct download is

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/win32/mkvtoolnix-unicode-4.4.0-setup.exe

Thanks richUK. I got the file and installed it. But I can’t do what Cocovanna told me. The application is very confused to me. How exactly I do to extract subtittles and remove them from my .MKV file? Thanks.

By unchecking the boxes of said streams and remuxing the file and of course by not including them in your initial rip next time.  Use MKVExtractGUI2 to rip out the files.

Sorry, but did not understand yet. I ripped the file from my DVD using “Make MKV”. Of course I know I can do it again without including subtittles.

Now, about getting a separete subtittles file. I can do it from the first MKV I created with Subtittle? It’s that? And for that I use MKVToolnix? But I don’t even know how to open the MKV file with this program. Is there a way to extract the subtitles file directly from DVD? Please, if you really want to help me you must be more specific. Sorry. Thanks again.

Well, the name MKV Extract GUI2 is quite self-explanatory, isn’t it? Download it or MKVcarver, open the first MKV and select the subs you want to extract.