Stuttering VOBs..............................STILL!

I just read a 3.5 year old thread on this topic.  I remember now that this is why I stopped using my WD Live Plus in the first place.  In the thread several seemingly knowledgible contributors predicted the firmware would eventually evolve to solve this problem.  I hope some of you are reading this because it’s time to eat your words.  I’ve been having this problem on my WD Hub and so plugged my Live Plus back in to see if it was better.  Predictably the firmware bunch at WD still has no clue.

Before anybody asks, YES I did upgrade my firmware.

1 Like

I’ve done this:

Match video framerate
Setup > Audio/Video Output > Video Output > HDMI > Auto > Auto > On

No stutter on VOBs (if they’re inside a VIDEO_TS-folder or ISO).

Sorry, but this has no effect on my problem.  In fact, I’m pretty sure I’ve tried it before.  I tried it on both my WD Live Plus and my Wd Live Hub.  The Plus stuttered immediately but the Hub ran fine for about 12 minutes.  I believe you’re probably right about the ISOs though.  I’ve read this before and last night  tried converting a set of ripped DVD files to ISO.  The ISO seemed to run perfectly though that doesn’t solve my problem as I have a couple hundred rips on HDD.

I’m beginning to smell a rat here.  Conventional wisdom on this board (and elsewhere) is that the WD firmware techs are incompetent.  History would seem to substantiate that theory however I find it hard to believe that they are this incompetent over the time period the problem has been prevalent.  I wonder if they aren’t simply ignoring the problem because they believe (rightly or wrongly) that many, if not all DVD movie rips are obtained illegally.  Maybe WD is even being pressured or paid to ignore this situation by the movie industry.  Someone is sure to call me a conspiricy theorist nut but it’s just a thought.

ram1009 wrote:

I’m beginning to smell a rat here.  Conventional wisdom on this board (and elsewhere) is that the WD firmware techs are incompetent.  History would seem to substantiate that theory however I find it hard to believe that they are this incompetent over the time period the problem has been prevalent.  I wonder if they aren’t simply ignoring the problem because they believe (rightly or wrongly) that many, if not all DVD movie rips are obtained illegally.  Maybe WD is even being pressured or paid to ignore this situation by the movie industry.  Someone is sure to call me a conspiricy theorist nut but it’s just a thought.

That conspiracy may be bear fruit if ISO files did not play correctly. I guess WD were not paid enough or were so incompetent technically that they did not know how easy it was to make an image! 

You must draw the line somewhere.  ISOs are so common that I don’t think anybody could get away with not supporting them.  They can be used for almost anything whereas VOBs are only for DVD rips.

EDIT:  Well, I guess I’m back to incompetence.  I copied the offending files to a thumb drive and they seemed to run fine through the USB port of my WD Live Plus.  I guess it must be a network issue.  Why doesn’t someone from WD comment on this?

Actually, I’m playing them from my NAS too.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issues/VOB-files-are-unwatchable/idi-p/586396

A more recent topic about this mather, but the problem still isn’t solved in the new firmware.

At this moment I have to manually adjust video settings (1080p, 720p, 50 or 60Hz, etc…) for playing certain files stutter-free. This mediaplayer cannot auto-adjust this itself (=the way it should be!), my Popcorn Hour (A210) can do this without any problem, never have stuttering content on this mediaplayer.

Why is it SO hard and difficult to let the WD Tv mediaplayer auto-adjust the video settings.

It’s not necessery to point me to the ‘HDMI => Auto => Auto => On’ setting, because: been there and done that (read: this doesn’t work at all).

Please let the WD Tv Live player auto adjusting video settings for each sort of videofile (mkv, iso, vob, etc…) in the next firmware, if my Popcorn Hour can do this, why not the WD Tv Live player?

wzirkz wrote:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issues/VOB-files-are-unwatchable/idi-p/586396

A more recent topic about this mather, but the problem still isn’t solved in the new firmware.

At this moment I have to manually adjust video settings (1080p, 720p, 50 or 60Hz, etc…) for playing certain files stutter-free. This mediaplayer cannot auto-adjust this itself (=the way it should be!), my Popcorn Hour (A210) can do this without any problem, never have stuttering content on this mediaplayer.

Why is it SO hard and difficult to let the WD Tv mediaplayer auto-adjust the video settings.

It’s not necessery to point me to the ‘HDMI => Auto => Auto => On’ setting, because: been there and done that (read: this doesn’t work at all).

Please let the WD Tv Live player auto adjusting video settings for each sort of videofile (mkv, iso, vob, etc…) in the next firmware, if my Popcorn Hour can do this, why not the WD Tv Live player?

Which model do you have, you have referenced the live streaming player but have posted in the old live forum.

Here’s the latest wrinkle.  I was at Newegg shopping for a new player and decided to write a review of this product.  I’m sure you all can imagine the content.  Anyway, I quickly got an e-mail from Newegg containing a response from WD saying to contact them on this issue.  I havern’t contacted them yet but I will post the progress, if any.  Frankly, I’m not optimistic.

EDIT:  As anticipated, the phone call was a complete waste of time.  First of all the number proviced only dealt with warranty issues.  The tech was pleasant enough and at least listened when I told him I was responding to a request to call from a WD employee who trolls Newegg.  He put me on hold for a bit and when he returned he said all he could do was to pass on my complaint to the developers.  Like I said, a complete waste of time.

ram1009 wrote:

Here’s the latest wrinkle.  I was at Newegg shopping for a new player and decided to write a review of this product.  I’m sure you all can imagine the content.  Anyway, I quickly got an e-mail from Newegg containing a response from WD saying to contact them on this issue.  I havern’t contacted them yet but I will post the progress, if any.  Frankly, I’m not optimistic.

Do you mean that you have never contacted them directly about this issue! However ironic that they take notice when posted on an external website but not when posted on their own site.

wzirkz wrote:

It does for me.

Actually, I’ve owned all three devices and currently own a “Plus” and a “Hub”.  Originally, (several years ago) I bought a WD Live which had the stuttering problem and was RMAd by WD to a “Plus” unit which I still have and still stutters and is still being complained about on this forum.  My review is accurate for all three products.  Your attempt to discredit me is pretty transparent.  This issue is real and being ignored by WD.  I don’t know what the “VIP” in your avatar means but if it means that you have some clout with WD I suggest you get on this band wagon instead of throwing rocks at it.

@Techflaws: great that this setting works for you, many kudo’s for your reply, but like I said: it doesn’t work for me.

Hello,

Keep it friendly guys

ERmorel wrote:

Hello,

Keep it friendly guys

Are messages being deleted here?

@ram1009

I was going by the information in this thread and was not aware you had previously owned a WDTV Live Streaming.

My Apologies.

JoeySmyth wrote:

@ram1009

I was going by the information in this thread and was not aware you had previously owned a WDTV Live Streaming.

My Apologies.

Apology accepted but not required.  I think you were right to inquire if I’d ever owned one even if you did jump to a conclusion not in evidence.  I still wish you’d use your VIP status to get some action on this.

richUK wrote:

ERmorel wrote:

Hello,

Keep it friendly guys

Are messages being deleted here?

Yes. And like always the regular’s reaction is being deleted and not the guy’s pointless snarky remarks that started being unfriendly. But hey, that’s what you get when you outsource to crappy Lithium board software rather than using Invision or Simple Machines or phpbb3.

I don’t know about any of the rest of you but in my eyes WD credibility has taken a big hit over all of this.

You obviously do not read the rest of the forum. This is the least of its problems.