Streaming large files

Hi

Ripped a DVD to my hard drive, the whole film including extras, file size about 7.5gb. WD see’s this file okay but when I try to stream it won’t play the extra’s or show the menu, just plays the film from the start. I’ve tried selecting play from the video ts file but still won’t show the menu, I can’t select menu from the options on the WD, when I press the enter button on the remote it only shows the duration of that one file I.e. 17 minutes instead of the whole film duration, approx 2 hours.

Connecting using network shares not media server, windows xp

I can play other films as a DVD when streaming thro the WD

Thanks

Also;
When I select play from the remote on the folder, it plays the film only in widescreen format, without menus but is fine

When I select play from the remote on the video ts file within the film folder, it shows the menu on the film I.e scene selection but loses sound after a few seconds and the picture judders when I select to play the film or a particular film

Accessing the film from a shared 3tb external hard drive

So, these are DVD Rips?

Is the root folder named “VIDEO_TS” – all caps?

When you say a “Shared 3TB external,” does that mean you have it somewhere on your network?   Or plugged in via USB direct to the WDTV?

If it’s on the network, what’s your network like?  Wireless or Wired?

Hi

Yes DVD rips, vob files

The main folder is the name of the film, I open this then all the files are listed within it, the first file is VIDEO_TS, I click play on this, on some films, this will play as a DVD with menus without a problem. Do I need another folder within the film folder named VIDEO_TS which then contains the other files, I’ve never had to do this in the past.

My 3TB hard drive is plugged directly into my desktop upstairs by USB and shared on the network, I’m able to select this drive using the WD and then stream downstairs to my tv which my WD is plugged in to.

Wireless network

Thank you

Peters04 wrote:
Hi

Yes DVD rips, vob files

The main folder is the name of the film, I open this then all the files are listed within it, the first file is VIDEO_TS, I click play on this, on some films, this will play as a DVD with menus without a problem. Do I need another folder within the film folder named VIDEO_TS which then contains the other files, I’ve never had to do this in the past.

My 3TB hard drive is plugged directly into my desktop upstairs by USB and shared on the network, I’m able to select this drive using the WD and then stream downstairs to my tv which my WD is plugged in to.

Wireless network

Thank you

It’s been ages since I’ve used these older players, but yes, my recollection is that DVD rips either need to be ISO (single file) or a VIDEO_TS folder rip (with that name.)

I’ll try creating a folder called VIDEO_TS and put the other film files into, so it becomes;
FILM/VIDEO_TS/ then the actual film VOB files, then I’ll try pressing play on the VIDEO_TS file…

That’s how it did work the last time I tried some folders on the old Live (using ISO exclusively for DVDs).

Hi
This didn’t work, still stutters and will play the film only, no menu

The stutter could be due to the wrong framerate, so have you set match video framerate
Setup > Audio/Video Output > Video Output > HDMI > Auto > Auto > On?
Does it happen on all DVDs? You know, sometimes the authoring can be quite complex.

Hi
Tried changing the setting you suggested, problem remains. I am able to play certain folders as a DVD would play, by pressing play on the first file in the folder, VIDEO_TS.VOB. City Slickers for example will play this way, Transformers 3 won’t.

So have you already tried Transformers as ISO? And what tool did you use to rip the DVDs? Did you use it on all?

@peters04

I rip all my DVD movies to an ISO file and every one of them has the entire contents of a DVD (menu, extra, etc.) and ALL play fine.

I usually use DVD shrink or ideal DVD, how to I rip to an ISO file?

I use AnyDVD HD, but since it appears you prefer to use free programs, many people here use DVDFab.  http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm  Although there can be a charge for it, many have mentioned how they continue to use it for free. 

Peters04 wrote:
I usually use DVD shrink or ideal DVD, how to I rip to an ISO file?

DVD Shrink > Backup > Target Device > Select Backup Target: ISO Image File.