Streaming HD Video over WiFi problems

I have a weird issue that when I try to watch a 720/1080 video from a network share over wireless. It always starts off fine and plays the video, but they within a couple of minutes will either start getting choppy, the audio will cut out, or the video will just stop completely. I copied one of the videos to a usb drive and confirmed that it works fine that way. All adapters are wireless N standard. I would think that would be able to keep up with the demand to play and HD video. Any ideas? Thanks!

What is your transfer speed over the network? Normally, this happens when the speed is not enough.

hi

exactly - seems normal for wireless transfer if network is slow/poor .

try :

* change key codes [wpa2] to none and check if it is faster

* change key coees to check if those are faster

* check with internet soft [available free on internet]  what wifi bands are available in your region [neighborhood] and change to utilze them [not to use those which are jammed or used by other users in your area]

* check if 5Ghz is possible for your adapter

* but most of all - for hd staff/materials is prefered wired network [stable and manages to carry the source]

regards

pawson 

1 Like

pawson wrote:

hi

exactly - seems normal for wireless transfer if network is slow/poor .

try :

* change key codes [wpa2] to none and check if it is faster

* change key coees to check if those are faster

* check with internet soft [available free on internet]  what wifi bands are available in your region [neighborhood] and change to utilze them [not to use those which are jammed or used by other users in your area]

* check if 5Ghz is possible for your adapter

* but most of all - for hd staff/materials is prefered wired network [stable and manages to carry the source]

regards

pawson 

Great recommendations, but the best one is the last one, HD streaming, via WIFI, is really depending of the speed of your network.

They stream ok, via wire connection?

My home is CAT5 wired throughout, so my (100mbps) network is all wired.  Wired is best, but on occasion and for a “stress test” on the system I have used wireless G (54mbps) to stream DVD ISO files and it all works fine, wirelessly.  That said, conditions must be optimal for wireless to stream media well (we are not just sending simple email around!)  A signal strength of Excellent or Very Good is what’s needed. 

Check wireless signal strength at the serving end (e.g. desktop PC or laptop).  Since the WDTV doesn’t have a wireless signal strength indicator as a PC does, try to bring a laptop to the WDTV and check the laptop’s signal strength in the vicinity, then you will have a good idea of what your chances are for good streaming of video.  Music streaming is a little less demanding, but it still needs a healthy wireless signal to work with.

Thanks for your replies. I will have to do some more testing to figure out what the problem is. One thing i don’t understand is how i can watch higher resolution video on netflix and youtube without a problem. I am guessing the buffering is just setup differently. Thanks again!

I have my Linksys E3000 router 3 feet from mine and it still breaks up.  Also tried the Asus N13 that their website said would work with my WD TV Live Streaming player (breaks up sooner).  Just stick with wired connection and it works fine.