[REQUEST] New Features - Please put all your requests in this thread

ganeshts - Its clear you have not used B-rad’s homebrew firmware yet!

* Better navigation in files!

A way to skip forward and backward - your current FF/REW is very bad - in AVI’s its slow like an evil year, on DVD’s its almost too fast.

I suggest an option to use the arrow keys for skipping back and forth.

Suggestion: The arrow keys have certain jump intervals which works when you are playing the movie and the info bar is NOT visible.

If the info bar IS visible, they have another set of jump intervals.

Ie:

If you are just playing the video (and the info bar is NOT visible) the arrow keys skip this way:

RIGHT ARROW: Jumps forward 10 seconds
LEFT ARROW: Jumps back 10 seconds

UP ARROW: Jumps forward 30 seconds
DOWN ARROW: Jumps back 30 seconds.

IF you are showing the info bar - either from having pressed the ENTER key or, via the PAUSE key the arrow keys skip this way:

RIGHT ARROW: Jumps forward 10 minutes
LEFT ARROW: Jumps back 10 minutes

UP ARROW: Jumps forward 30 minutes
DOWN ARROW: Jumps back 30 minutes

Time amounts (ie 10 seconds etc) could be set via the options.

Feature Requests in no particular order:

1. Definitely Netflix “Watch Instantly” access - this could/would really raise the profile of this already great device

2. Hulu access

3. ISO / VOB menu support

4. custom wallpaper

5. ability to automatically add “album art” to movies, music, etc.

6. a full on web browser a la Opera on the Wii

7. custom icons and/or more icon options

8. maintain “options” selected when switching between consecutive VOB files (i.e. if zoomed in, stay zoomed when the next vob file starts)

* Large font size for subtitles! Do you pay royalties by the pixel? Add a few more please :slight_smile:

AND the ability to have a black semi transparent ribbon behind the subtitles - (like the KISS players did, and the countries in Scandinavia do)

Not sure, but I thinke that these items should be int he section called “Idea Lab” on the main forum page - it looks like they are collecting ideas for furture producks there.

Very true. I got hold of my own WDTV Live only 3 days back. That is why I used the word ‘probably’. This means not everything, but many of the things are already in there from what you asked.

However, I have been following b-rad’s posts and his website for quite some time now, and I am sure he has NFS mounting and wallpaper change in his custom firmware

http://b-rad.cc/1041/wdlxtv-live-tips-1-mounting-nfs-under-network-shares/

His initial release also had the following in the release notes:

Custom background and screen saver images can be supplied at boot

Hello_World - We dont want to give them ideas to make new products, but improve what we already own! I hope you get the idea :slight_smile:

Ganeshts - I think you should really use that firmware to understand what is really possible. Mounting NFS shares is done in a very tricky way. Basically, first you need to make sure that WDTV “detects” a network drive first. If it doesnt then NFS mounting doesnt work. That is why I requested for the IP / host entering option. Other way is to stick a thumb drive permanently in order to mount NFS shares using net.mount. It’s a very stupid idea to leave something connected if all I want is to watch my shares outside my network! As far as wallpapers/screensavers are concerned. That is not really a big advantage of upgrading to brad’s homebrew firmware. I’d rather have that feature with official firmware. It’s not a big feature requirement, but something that is obviously done by someone outside WD, so this can be incorporated in the official firmware as well.

I ordered mine a few days ago.

Agree…

• Netflix - Can it be done with a firmware update

• ISO title reading

• Connect to an IP could be very handy if using something like Tversity/ORB/Many others

Here’s one more request:

Abilily to read mymovies.xml and backdrop.jpg in movie folder as used by MCE with XBMC or Mediabrowser. meta ( http://themetabrowser.com/) can organize movie folders, get IMDB stats and store them in mymovies.xml. This is then read by XBMC or MCE with Mediabrowser and all the information is parsed like IMDB rating, Genre, Cast, Runtime, etc. If this information can be displayed while previewing a folder, that will be great!

That will be great if they include in a next firmware for the WD LIVE :

1 - compatibility with bluray’s subtitles (.pgs)

2 - compatibility with USB Keyboards in azerty and qwerty  (ideal for search more easily in YouTube and for write the wireless password who have special characters)

3 - an internet browser (if yes, so don’t forget to have a compatibility with mouses lol)

4 - to can have the choice to add others internet radios

5 - to have the possibility to get internet flux TV of our Internet Providers with the WD Live.  In France, our providers (the name of mine is “Free”) give us the possibility to get internet TV in our computers, we call this “Multiposte” ! For exemple, we use software like 'ADSLTV" and “VLC” for get it in our computers. That will be great if you can add this flux to the WD LIVE. For have more informations (it’s only in french, sorry), you can check here for exemple : http://www.free.fr/adsl/pages/television/multiposte.html

6 - compatibily with external USB DVD/BLURAY Drives

7 - to can have the Marseillaise’s song (french national anthem) when WD LIVE turn on and turn off  (joking :stuck_out_tongue:)

Edit :  to " OMDDB-PiLoT ", can you add all the new requests in your first message ? That will be more clear for the WD Staff because i don’t think they will check all the pages here if there are a hundred of request soon :slight_smile:

Ya, shoutcast addition will be nice. Also an internet browser :smiley:

subtitle added encoding support for Eastern Europe characters.

Support Win Media Player v12 PlayTo command. It appears that music works, but video doesn’t. Haven’t tried pictures.

__SD__ - I would love to edit the first post and organize everything, but apparently we dont have that option. I guess no permission to edit posts in this forum :frowning: LOL, here’s another request!

To " OMDDB-PiLoT ", i can edit mine, so i guess you can too, just clic on “Options” to the right side of the message and clic after on “Edit Reply” :wink:

My one request is jumping forward/backward easier (I think this is already mentioned above).

RIGHT ARROW: forward 30 sec
LEFT ARROW: backward 7 sec
UP ARROW: forward 3 mins
DOWN ARROW: backward 1 min

It would be IDEAL if the times above are user configurable too.

OMDB-PiLoT- your not entirely correct (or wrong at that). Your lumping three different features together as one.

1. You could mount non NFS shares by IP without having a USB drive connected automatically by net.mounts inside /conf/ (will supposedly you could, I’ve had more luck doing it inside S00user-scripts inside /conf/ )

2. You could mount NFS shares by IP automatically while having a USB stick in using the above mentioned method

3. You could mount NFS shares by IP automatically without having a USB stick plugged in using the cifs-interceptor method described at  http://b-rad.cc/1041/wdlxtv-live-tips-1-mounting-nfs-under-network-shares/ (which I think you mean by being very tricky)

I would like the ability to save favourite folders from media shares or network shares.  This is so that my wife, who is impatient with technology, doesn’t have to navigate menus and folders every time she wants to play a video for my 3 year old.  XBMC had this years ago.

I would like to second the request for skipping within a video.  Something like what my pvr does which is 1 minute forward and 30 seconds back.  Perhaps double click could be 10 minutes forward or 5 back.  Again XBMC had skipping within a video quite some time ago.

I would also like the ability to output analog stereo audio at the same time as using HDMI.  I would like to be able to set a Last.FM station and turn off my TV to listen to internet radio over my stereo.

Many of us use the WDTV Live as part of a home theatre and therefore have a universal remote.  It would be nice if we could have an extended list of IR commands available to get the fullest experience out of the the WDTV Live.

Every time I wake/turn on the WDTV Live it takes a few moments to connect to the wired LAN.  I assume it is taking time to negotiate with the DHCP server to get a new lease.  Why can’t it use the lease it already had if it has not yet expired?  It is annoying that I can ask the WDTV to browse for media servers before it has a network connection.  There is also no visual feedback provided to say that it hasn’t finished negotiating the network connection yet.

David

While this does not affect me, the ability to disable HDMI audio is vital for many people with a home theatre. I am surprised that this option is not already given.

1. Allow users to disable the Music and Photos Options from the main screen

2. Allow users to disable the Media Servers or Network Shares Icon’s within the Sub Menus, if they don’t have Media Servers or Network Shares in their home. Additional options that don’t do anything are just confusing to some people.

3. Allow users to specify which network shares they want  displayed, instead of displaying everything found.