Question about smartphone remote control app. Can I browse files without help from TV display?

Hi all,

I don’t own a WDTV live yet, I’m wondering about a remote control feature I’m unsure it can accomplish.

My music files are available on a NAS via SMB shares, I understand the WDTV can playback the files without issue.

What I’d like to be able to do is queue music files (hopefully sorted by ID3 track number) with the Android app running on my tablet.  I’d like to be able to browse my music files with this app and queue the files for playback on the WDTV (connected to my home stereo via HDMI).

I’d like to be able to do this without needed to look at the TV (in fact I don’t even want a TV connected).  Can the app do this?

I’m basically looking to stream the music from my NAS to the stereo, but want to control playback completely from the tablet.  I currently can do this by accessing the smb shares directly on my tablet, and streaming the audio from my tablet to my stereo via bluetoooth, but the bluetooth range is terrible.  Wifi would be best for range so i’m trying to find a product that can act as the SMB client that can be controlled by wifi remote (tablet), I know the WDTV can be the SMB client, but I have a feeling the remote control app works in conjunction with a TV display.  Can anyone shed some light on what the app can do as far as file browsing without a TV?

Sorry for the long winded post.

Hello, you can’t use it to navigate music, only to control playback (Pause, Play, Skip, FF, etc…)

Hello,

a question to WD staff.

No update since then?

Any application being planned to allow music playing without TV?