Problem/Fault: Picture dropping, then sound, box unresponsive… HELP!

In summary my WD TV Live box is dropping picture, then sound, then becoming unresponsive… I’ve tried as much as I can think of and now need help.

I recently bought a refurbished WD TV Live from eBay.  The seller listed the item as…

"This was a replacement under warranty for a faulty unit direct from Western Digital. Upgraded to the WD TV Live smp whilst awaiting the exchange. So unit is new (hence protective film on front) with all cables, remote control and accessories. Updated with latest firmware, version 1.06.15"

I have set up the device in two scenarios.

1. Connected to TV via AV cable, connected to Network via Ethernet Cable to Apple Airport Express plug.
  2. Connected to TV via HDMI, connected to Network via Ethernet Cable to Router.

In both instances while watching footage from a WD networked MyBook (Video>Network shares>MYBOOKWORLD) the picture will drop (screen goes blank) and the sound will start to distort eventually resulting in the sound dropping too.

I’m left with a blank screen… When I say blank I mean black. No picture. However the signal is still coming from the WD to the TV as the TV doesn’t drop signal and flash up the source (HDMI2).

Also the WD TV Live box is completely unresponsive. The only way to reboot is to pull the power lead out of the box and put it back in.

As you can see from the eBay listing it was running firmware 1.06.15. So my first step was to update to the latest version. I downloaded the latest from the WD site which is still listed as 1.06.15 and the box still allowed me to update so I did so. I might add that the update took several attempts to get the update to run. Device was freezing on the update progress bar at 0%.

Problem still occurs.

Additionally I’ve timed the problem on more than one occasion and it seems to occur after the box has been on for approx 8-10 minutes. I started the timer when footage was played. Fault occurs after approx 6 minutes of playback.  

Also I have another WD TV Live which works absolutely fine and have had no issues with it ever. And always been able to update the firmware without issues. Just seems this new “refurbished” box is having some teething problems.

Any advise on next steps to take from anyone?
I’m at a total loss.

Just reset the box back to factory settings as a test.

Fault occured even sooner this time. The box was on for 5 minutes before fault occured. Only playing footage back for 3min30sec…

This is becoming a real confusing fault.