No Audio MOV file

Yesterday I have downloaded a recent trailer ‘Skyline’ as a .MOV resolution 1080p. When I tried to see it on the WD TV HD Live media player, the picture is very good but without any audio. Lately some MKV movies which I tried to play have similiar problems, good picture no audio.

I tried to upgrade to firmware 1.03 but there the media player is not recognizing the .BIN and .VER files. It seems that I am stuck. Is my media player useless now?

The part number of my player is WDAAP0000NBK.

Welcome to the forums.

When you boot up the Live does it say there is new firmware available?  If not, don’t worry about it.

Some MKV files created with MKVMerge later than 4.0 will not have any audio – you can remux with them 4.0.

I can’t say why the trailer doesn’t have sound – can you post the MediaInfo on that file (or post a link to where you downloaded the trailer)?

If all you have are BIN and VER then you’re missing a file.   There’s THREE files in the package, the other ends in .FFF.

All three files should be unpacked to the ROOT of a USB device.

I tried the skyline trailer in 1080p, and it plays fine.

It was encoded with Apple QuickTime 7.6.0. As it is a newer version I assume that if you manage to upgrade the firmware, you won’t have any trouble playing it.

The link is http://trailers.apple.com/movies/universal/skyline/skyline-tlr1_1080p.mov

I had the same problem with LIVE PLUS. Few .mov trailers had no audio. Changing from “digital” to “stereo” on the player settings restored the audio.

I downloaded WDTV_1_03_01.zip but the .FFF file is NOT inserted.

There is no 1_03_01. At least not for WD TV Live. The latest beta is 1.03.38. You can download it from here:

http://www.wdc.com/wdtvlive_limitedpublicbetarelease/

silegnav wrote:

I downloaded WDTV_1_03_01.zip but the .FFF file is NOT inserted.

You have downloaded firmware for the WDTV HD player and not the Live. The current firmware for the live is 1.02.21 and there is a beta 1.03.38 which you can download.

The MOV is:

SKYLINE movie -

1920x800, 23 frames/second,

Data Rate 9859.

I have installed the Beta 1.03 firmware and the audio problems have not vanished.

1. How do I remux the MKV with MKVMerge?

Thanks.

For your MOV you can try remuxing it as well – run it through MKVMerge but change the audio options in the audio track to AAC.

For your MKV files that don’t have sound use either MKVMerge version 4.0 or older (best) or in the newer versions go to each track (both audio and video) and turn off Header Compression.

1. THe SKYLINE.mov has two tracks :  AVC1 and mp4a. How do I change the audio track to AAC as you have requested?

2. How do I turn off the Header Compression?

T** hanking you for your patience and kind assistance.**

The first track, AVC, is the video track.  You leave this alone.

In the audio track you go to track specific options and checkmark the AAC box.

For your MKV files, you go to each track (video and audio) and under track specific options you turn off header compression (I can’t be more specific because I do not have a version of MKVmerge more recent than 4.0.  I actually recommend that you download this version instead, and that way all you have to do is just remux and not worry about having to change any options, as it will do it automagically for you).

1. I cannot see track specific options but format specific options. In the below jpg, you can see that I have changed the Skyline.mov audo to AAC however the audio is still not heard. Am I doing something wrong?

MKVMerge 4.0

Hmmm, that should *definitely* work (and others here apparently can hear the sound just fine as well).

You do hear sound on other files, right? 

WD TV Live is having trouble to play MKV files especially the below movie (see link). On my PC this MKV works fine but on my WD TV Live HD, picture OK but audio nothing. Sometimes media technology is a mystery.

MKV PROBLEM

What are your audio settings in the Live (under Audio/Video settings)?  Are they set to “digital” or “stereo”?  And how are you playing sound in your system – does it connect directly to your TV, or to a receiver (and through HDMI or optical)?

mkelley wrote:

What are your audio settings in the Live (under Audio/Video settings)?  Are they set to “digital” or “stereo”?  And how are you playing sound in your system – does it connect directly to your TV, or to a receiver (and through HDMI or optical)?

The audio settings have always been set to digital. The audio output of the media player goes through a Kenwood KRF-V5300D  amplifyer and then on surround speakers 7.1.

I am a bit concerned that future processed MKVs can prove to be a problem with the WD TV Live HD player. Maybe this problem can be fixed with the new firmware 1.03.

MKVs that aren’t processed with any version of MKVMerge greater than 4.0 won’t be any issue at all, and any that are can easily be fixed so that’s not a problem.

But I’m not sure why that file won’t play for you – in the Live menu there is an option for outputting sound via HDMI, via Optical AND HDMI, and via Optical only.  What do you have it set for?  (And how are you connecting to your receiver?)

mkelley wrote:

MKVs that aren’t processed with any version of MKVMerge greater than 4.0 won’t be any issue at all, and any that are can easily be fixed so that’s not a problem.

But I’m not sure why that file won’t play for you – in the Live menu there is an option for outputting sound via HDMI, via Optical AND HDMI, and via Optical only.  What do you have it set for?  (And how are you connecting to your receiver?)

The outputting sound via HDMI, via Optical AND HDMI, and via Optical only option does not exist in the new Beta Firmware.

Oh I’m *sure* it does.

When you go to Settings then to Audio/Video what items do you see on the menu?