New Release - WD TV Live Plus Firmware Version 1.06.42 (1/17/13)

Since the upgrade, I can see the movies, but the sound is not there.
I’ll  also tried to change the audio settings, but nothing helped.

can you help me?

TheBeeMan wrote:

Hi Bill,

Give us access to firmware version 1.06.34.

I tried 1.06.42 and all the posts on here give examples of what sort of problems we are having (me to).  I downgraded to 1.06.41_V and that is better but keep losing network shares and then wait for days for them to reappear.

FV 1.06.34 worked well for me except didn’t like utube leanback and login procedure, but hey man it worked…

BeeMan, if you want to roll back, go here and follow WD’s instructions for your particular model player:

How to roll back the firmware on a WD TV Live HD Media Player or WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player

TheBeeMan wrote:

Hi Bill,

Give us access to firmware version 1.06.34.

I tried 1.06.42 and all the posts on here give examples of what sort of problems we are having (me to).  I downgraded to 1.06.41_V and that is better but keep losing network shares and then wait for days for them to reappear.

FV 1.06.34 worked well for me except didn’t like utube leanback and login procedure, but hey man it worked…

I’m looking into this.

I have had this visersion installed since it came out and have not seen any real differences compared to previous versions except some of the things that have already listed. I have a CrunchyRoll basic(free) account but it is a pain to access the videos since there is no direct CrunchyRoll access like there is for other similar streaming sites.

HI, this is my first reply and probably my last also. I’ve owned a WDTVLIVEPLUS for more than 2 years, at first the firmware upgrades worked fine, but i think for more than 3 upgrades now  I’d to downgrade them again

So I’ve looked into google and found this.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Networking/Possible-to-disable-quot-new-firmware-available-quot-message/td-p/400507

Personally I’ve done it and worked perfectly, so i wont be upgrading until there’s a really good (tested) version to download.

Sorry WD but the user community are your customers, not your testers.

Regards

Ricardo

Ricardo - how will you know when there is a good tested version to download. Are you suggesting that other users do the testing on your behalf and only when all the reports are good will you upgrade.

Hi there, I’ve been reading up on the entire thread and can’t make out whether to upgrade or not. My main reason for upgrading is to use my android and iphone as a remote for the wdtv (makes youtube so much easier).  For me, I basically need two things, the ability to watch videos that i’ve put on attached hard drives (mkv,mp4,avi,etc) and also, to be able to access the wdtv as a network share. the wdtv is in the tv room, but usually my family just accesses it on their laptop in their rooms. I just want to make sure that both of these things aren’t broken. Plus, I like to copy stuff onto the attached hard drives via the network. I should be able to do all that even after the upgrade right? (I have a live plus and a live as well). Thanks guys!

I finally had to downgrade from this firmware, I had to unplug and reconnect the ethernet to the WDTV every time I wanted to acceess my storage drives which was highly irritating as I use the network options every time I use it :( 

I actually managed to get the Live to access my media files on the network - eventually. I set the log-in to “manual”, logged in then reset to “auto” and since then it’s worked each time without having to use “manual”. Don’t ask me why…

I have tried to read every post since the beginning of this thread and am thankful that I have not had the network discovery problems and such since I did a cold shutdown (removed power and restarted.  Restarting seemed to fix ALMOST everything.  The one remaining issue I am having with the new fw (1.06.42_B) has to do with internet radio streaming using TuneIn.  I am able to stream most sources EXCEPT Sky.FM streams.  When I try to connect to these streams it sends me to a trouble shooting menu asking if the audio is a problem, etc.  I had the same problem with my WD TV Live, but is somehow miraculously gone away. The WD TV Live Plus has not worked since the 1.06.42 update.  Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to fix this?? 

Thank you for your help.  

@oldcodger

I have reasons to believe the WD’s TuneIn Radio app is somewhat “broken” irrespective of the player or firmware.  I say this because since the app appeared, I have on occasions found one or more of my favorite stations will not play as you described.  So, I check the station on my Roku player – it plays fine.  It also plays fine from the TuneIn website. 

Conclusion: the problem is the WD’s app. 

Solution:  I listen to TuneIn radio via the Roku, not the WD.

@bbyf16

“If it ain’t broken, don’t fix it”, or in this case,  don’t upgrade the firmware to a “broken” version.

I am facing the subtitle-flicker issue (as described in the below post) for all my videos that have been encoded with Handbrake with the subtitle in the MP4 container: http://community.wdc.com/t5/ideas/v1/ideapage/blog-id/streaming_issues/article-id/947/page/1 I did not have this issue for all the previous versions as i have played the videos before on them. The issue was highlighted by user PeterJohn in that thread, but thought it would get better visibility here.

It’s been a while, but when I play MP4 I have video but no sound.  Is this a problem with the latest FW.  It seems like they played before as far as I can remember.  I don’t have a lot of MP4.

If the MP4s have DTS audio, then the Play won’t play the sound if:

1- the audio mode is set to Stereo, or

2- the audio mode is set to Passthrough to a device that doesn’t support DTS.

They aren’t DTS. They are 2 channel Stereo, movies I recorded with my Hauppauge PVR.

I downgraded to 1.04 FW and now they play fine.   I don’t know if the settings in 1.06 would be different, I didn’t check them.  I could try installing it again and see.  I would like to keep the current FW just so I don’t get that nag screen of FW Update available.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry, forget my reply.   I lost track of what forum I was in – thought you had the WD TV Play.

I just updated the WD over the internet.  It downloaded FW 1.06.42_B and installed it.  Everything seems to be working now.  I checked and I had 1.06.16_B installed previously.  I didn’t notice that the thread had a different version of 1.06.  Plus, I wonder why I wasn’t getting a message that there was a FW update when I turned it on.

But hopefully, this solves my problems.

Good luck with it…as you can see from this thread it might fix one problem and give you three more.

What I’m suggesting is that WD test the version instead of the ussers. I think that’s the way everything works. Suppose your phone upgrades to a newer firmware but stops working you’ll call apple, motorolla, samsung and would complain in a harsh way. Well my thougt is that WD does the testing before releasing a new version.