Network connection issues finally solved

I’ve been having network connection problems for quite a while & the other day I solved it. Just in case anyone is experiencing the same problems, I’ll describe the whole scenerio here.

Kit/Software:

Windows 7 Prof.

PS3 Media Server v1.90.1

Onkyo AV Receiver

WDTV (Western Digital) Live box

Samsung TV (HDMI)

Original problem:

I’m trying to stream videos from my PC thru’ the WDTV into the Onkyo & TV by using PS3 Media Server software. Files with a basic 2-channel AC3 audio track and 720p video, stream fine, but as soon as I stream one with a 6-channel track, at some point during the streaming it will stop & display “There was a problem connecting to the network. The device could not connect to the network.” This could happen at any time during playback. Also, some videos would appear to be of length 18mins 18secs (according to on screen WDTV) when they are in fact much longer and would start to play but very erratically.

At present, the only way of guaranteeing full uninterrupted viewing is by copying the source on to a flash drive & using that - which defeats the whole point.

The NIC & Router are up to date re. firmware versions.

Solution:

I have a DLINK DSL-2640T. It seems that over time the firmware within it becomes corrupted. There is an option to save the current configuration (which I did), then restore to factory defaults, then reload that saved configuration. Not only can I get thru’ the options of the router quicker than recent times, but after streaming for around 10 hours I’ve not had the problem re-occur and those certain videos which had problems playing (18mins 18secs long), now play and show the correct duration.

So there you go, anyone with a problem similar to mine, try this.

Hi, thanks for sharing. 

If you have a router that is acting up, perhaps it is time for a new replacement!