Netflix in the Caribbean (Jamaica!)?

Hey all. I posted earlier but somehow it got eaten by forum maintenance. 

My Mom lives in Jamaica. I purchased her a WD Live Plus earlier this year. Currently, it does not work. That’s not too much of a big deal for me as it was not purchased based solely on Netflix. My only regret is had I known then what I know now I’d have gotten her something nicer and a bit more user friendly.

I’ve read all the details on Latin American boxes and North American ones being different, but I am wondering what Jamaica and the Caribbean would be considered as, seeing that for example, Jamaica is 99.99% English speaking (or some variant at least, haha!). On Netflix, checking the compat. devices the internet HDTV link suspiciously heads to a Latin American Samsung site, so I may have my answer there.

Otherwise though, game consoles work. I can verify this as my friend’s PS3 works (purchased in Canada) and I’ve read of people using it fine on their Xbox systems and Wiis. That to me, makes no sense. Why would the PS3, Xbox and Wii work (all NA based) and WD Live Plus not work due to hardware differences? Personally I don’t think it’s REALLY hardware caused, but that’s another matter entirely.

I’d love to get some official info from WD or anyone here in-the-know.  The worse part is that if Netflix and WD does indeed intend to lump Jamaica and the entire Caribbean in with Latin America, I’ll have no way to easily source the hardware she needs. 

Thanks.

WD has already responded several times as to why different hardware was required, and why the PS3 / Wii / etc are different.

Where has WD said what the caribbean is considered as?

Regarding their posts on why hardware is different - when I see the “different hardware”, I’ll believe it. For now, I don’t believe that for 1 second. Mark my words, when the LatAM boxes are popped open they are going to be identical to the NA boxes.

All I want to know is, will the caribbean be considered a part of LatAM or a separate entity in and of itself.

It is not up to WD to say anything. It is Netflix that controls everything when it comes to Netflix streaming. Netflix decides where, how and what content you can recieve.

From the picture in this Netflix presentation, it appears the Caribbean is considered part of Latin America for Netflix:

Click here

Neoprimal wrote:

Hey all. I posted earlier but somehow it got eaten by forum maintenance. 

My Mom lives in Jamaica. I purchased her a WD Live Plus earlier this year. Currently, it does not work. That’s not too much of a big deal for me as it was not purchased based solely on Netflix. My only regret is had I known then what I know now I’d have gotten her something nicer and a bit more user friendly.

I’ve read all the details on Latin American boxes and North American ones being different, but I am wondering what Jamaica and the Caribbean would be considered as, seeing that for example, Jamaica is 99.99% English speaking (or some variant at least, haha!). On Netflix, checking the compat. devices the internet HDTV link suspiciously heads to a Latin American Samsung site, so I may have my answer there.

Otherwise though, game consoles work. I can verify this as my friend’s PS3 works (purchased in Canada) and I’ve read of people using it fine on their Xbox systems and Wiis. That to me, makes no sense. Why would the PS3, Xbox and Wii work (all NA based) and WD Live Plus not work due to hardware differences? Personally I don’t think it’s REALLY hardware caused, but that’s another matter entirely.

I’d love to get some official info from WD or anyone here in-the-know.  The worse part is that if Netflix and WD does indeed intend to lump Jamaica and the entire Caribbean in with Latin America, I’ll have no way to easily source the hardware she needs. 

Thanks.

Traditionally the Carribian is considered part of Latin America, although I have seen it considered in a few different areas. I would assume Latin America as well. I’d call Netflix to be sure.

The reason why a console would work is because the consoles have a lot more power and can do (in software)  copyright protection that has to be hardware based in a device like the wd tv’s - I’m sure it’s a Netflix requirment (that they need to implement in order to maintain the licences’ to distribute content in multiple regions).