Movies keep on playing when paused/stopped

Hi,

I used to be a happy user of a WDTV Live (I actually upgraded from the normal WDTV for its networking functionality). I use a wired WDTV Live in combination with an Apple Airport Extreme router with an USD Airport Disk attached, as well as Windows XP shares. Both work well.

I recently bought a Seagate BlackArmor 110 NAS. What I’m running into now is that any movie I play (avi/mkv/etc.) play well, however, when I press Pause or Stop the menu goes back to the file listing (so exits the movie), but the movie keeps playing in the background. You still hear the sound! Then when I press Play again it goes back to the movie, but with the blue circle in the middle (but the movie actually plays fine). The blue circle does not go away, even if you let it run for >10 minutes (I lost patience after that).

I am then forced to turn off the WDTV Live with the (red) Off button on the remote control, and when it restarts and I try to play another (or the same) movie the screen stays back and shows again the blue circle that does not go away.

The only way to get it to successfully play movies again is to pull the power or reset to factory defaults.

This is really annoying, and I can’t believe this is due to the BlackArmor NAS (although it is the new variable in my setup). The NAS merely streams what the WDTV Live requests…

Any help would be appreciated. I’ve restarted the NAS, removed the power from the WDTV Live, reset the WDTV Live to factory defaults, so I’m running out of options.

Thank you for any solution.

Regards,

Alastair

A suspect on your BlackArmor that you’re using the DLNA server, not Network Shares?

If SO, it sounds like there’s a DLNA incompatibility between the two, most likely that the BA is not responding to the STOP request.   What DLNA server does it run?

If NOT, then I have no idea why it would do that.

Thanks for the response! I don’t really know whether I’m currently using the DLNA server (I have not specifically turned it on, but perhaps it’s on by default). What I do know is that I’ve created network shares on the NAS, and these shares can be reached from my Windows XP and Mac without issue. I did have a media server running, but turned that off. I’ll look through the webinterface tonight to see if I can turn it off. If not, it sounds like I’m in trouble…

Alastair

alastair wrote:

Thanks for the response! I don’t really know whether I’m currently using the DLNA server…

Alastair

If you’re accessing the NAS via the “MEDIA SERVER” function on the WD, then you’re using DLNA.

If you’re accessing the NAS via the “NETWORK SHARE” function, then you’re not.

Then I can confirm I’m using the network shares. I’m on my way home now, will see if I can find anything on DLNA. Thanks so far!

Nope, couldn´t find anything specific in the NAS setup. This is really annoying!

Any other suggestions? I´ve also rebooted both my NAS and router, but still no luck…

I have the same setup and I also have the same problem!

I wish someone could tell me how to resolve this problem.

alastair,

it’s a guess only. Have you configured your NAS for read-only? If yes, try to allow write access. I have found that the WDTV creates a directory on the network shares, and in that directory it seems to store the reentry point in case a movie is paused or stopped.

Hi,

I do have guest access enabled on my NAS, however the guest is allowed to write as well to the drive. I’ve tested it, and the WDTV can indeed create .wd_tv hidden holder on the NAS. The problem even occurs when I login to the NAS with the admin password via the WDTV. It is looking more and more there is simply an incompatibility between the two machines… I might have to go shopping for a new mediaplayer.

Thanks,

Alastair

I have the BlackArmor 400 NAS and have the same problem using both File Share and DNLA access.

How do we raise this as a bug and request it to be fixed?

Thanks

Chris

officially, you’ll need to open a case with WD either via phone call or on the website at support.wdc.com

It is the weirdest thing! I reset the WD Live Media player and then everything works fine for awhile. Then when I go back to use it again, it just spins that blue logo. Then I have to go back and reset it again.

Very annoying!!!

MovieStar wrote:

It is the weirdest thing! I reset the WD Live Media player and then everything works fine for awhile. Then when I go back to use it again, it just spins that blue logo. Then I have to go back and reset it again.

Very annoying!!!

That normally happens if you play a ‘bad’ file. Are you using the latest firmware? 

YES, I have the latest firmware installed.

The video files are just a standard MPG file format. Is there a format that works “BEST”?

richUK,

It seems to me this has nothing to do with the media used; it happens on all video files of any format. I still believe this is a compatibility issue between the WDTV and Seagate BlackArmor NAS systems. I would hope this could get solved with a firmware update on the WDTV, but would WD address individual compatibilities?

Would we need to open a case on the WD website as per an earlier comment?

Regards, Alastair

alastair wrote:

richUK,

It seems to me this has nothing to do with the media used; it happens on all video files of any format. I still believe this is a compatibility issue between the WDTV and Seagate BlackArmor NAS systems. I would hope this could get solved with a firmware update on the WDTV, but would WD address individual compatibilities?

Would we need to open a case on the WD website as per an earlier comment?

Regards, Alastair

You said that it was alright after you reset but later you would get the spinning circle. If you play a ‘bad’ file the unit will hang up as you describe and only a reset will allow it to perform correctly. In short after you play a ‘bad’ file the WDTV will not allow you play anything correctly even files which are known good.

Thanks for reporting this problem, we’ll look into it.

Well I solved my problem! I return the Western Digital Media Player and purchased the Sony Media Player.

Now everything works just like it should and I actually get a lot more online features.

It is very tiresome to see that blue thing spin time after time.

Guy_K

Thank you very much. Any idea when we would be able to expect some kind of fix through a firmware update?

Regards,

Alastair

I’ve got exactly the same problem. I’ve been using wd tv live for two years without any problem, playing from a qnap nas. A month ago i’ve started getting this problem. I’ve bougth a new unit thinking mine was brick and still same problem. Is really annoying a i thing it’s any compatibility problem. If i got no solution i also would be moving to another player…