Movies keep on playing when paused/stopped

Guy_K

Thank you very much. Any idea when we would be able to expect some kind of fix through a firmware update?

Regards,

Alastair

I’ve got exactly the same problem. I’ve been using wd tv live for two years without any problem, playing from a qnap nas. A month ago i’ve started getting this problem. I’ve bougth a new unit thinking mine was brick and still same problem. Is really annoying a i thing it’s any compatibility problem. If i got no solution i also would be moving to another player…

I’m having the exact same problem with my WDTV Live → Qnap TS419+.

I can play only one movie. After that I need to restart my WDTV in order to play another.

When stopping or pausing, the sound continuos, and when hitting play again, the image starts playing as well, only with the progress wheel turning over the picture. Only full reboot solves it.

WDTV Live => Shared=> Qnap TS 419+

I’m calling WDC tomorrow. I’m affraid I’m going to buy an AC Ryan Fluxx as soon as it comes out. (Unless the helpdesk provides a solution). I used to be very happy with it in the old config: WDTV=>Airport Extreme=Mac . Also was a big fan of the first generation WDTV. Either I’ve bought a crappy unit, or the whole device is a miss.

(Also aftyer reboot every now and then the menu is all crappy and coloury…)

Anyone found a solution yet? I’m going to post my experience with the helpdesk tomorrow.

MacF, Amsterdam.

Customer services were kind enough to replace the wdtv. Within 5 day’s.

Supercool. Great service. 

I’ll post my findings.

So WDC was extremely cool with supplying me a new WDTV Live. After I updated the FW I have to conclude the problem still exists. (Although I got rid of a few other annoying bugs).

Only when the UTP Cable is removed I can use the WDTV as it should. Only with USB. 

Conclusion: WDTV Live + Qnap NAS is incompatible.

(Also tried it with ridiculous Twonky Mediaserver, btw.)

I have the same problem with my WD TV Live. First time it happened after updating firmware from 1.2.21 to the latest 1.4.31. Tried resetting/turning on-of/resetting to factory defaults - nothing helped.

After downgrading back to 1.2.21 the problem disappeared.

Knowing that my WD TV Live was worked almost flawlessly (except problems with playing video_ts dvd folders over the network, which caused me to downgrade from fw 1.4.17 to 1.2.21) with all firmwares from 1.2.21 (comes with device) to 1.4.17 (the latest I’ve tried before discovering problems with playing video_ts dvd folders over the network) I started testing if any of these firmwares could solve the problem and found that all of them have the same issue - after playback is started it cannot be stopped or controlled in any other way (no rev/ff/pause).

Now I settled with f/w 1.2.21 which behaves as expected - playback can be stopped/resumed/rev/fd.

Hope this helps to workaround the problem and fix it in future fw versions.

Thanks for the reply!

I rolled back to 1.2.21, but alas, no luck. Still have to restart in order to play another file…

Here’s the ‘helpful’ response from QNAP:

Thanks for choosing QNAP.

QNAP doesn’t guarantee the media box which not listed on QNAP compatibility list  http://www.qnap.com/pro_compatibility_digiMedia.asp would work well with NAS.

My response:

Thank you for your fast response. Can I ask a few follow up questions?

-Will there be an FW update in order to  make the WDTV Live compatible?

-WDTV Live is accessed through Shares (not Twonky). Isn’t the Qnap NAS then simply regarded as a disk and thus, shouldn’t it work? 

-Is there a work-around/solution for populair mediaplayers like these?

-Thinking of buying AC Ryan’s FLUXX. Will this be compatible in the near future?

Answers:

-Will there be an FW update in order to  make the WDTV Live compatible?

Ans: Can’t not guarantee but will try.

-WDTV Live is accessed through Shares (not Twonky). Isn’t the Qnap NAS then simply regarded as a disk and thus, shouldn’t it work? 

Ans: Yes, QNAP NAS should be regarded as a remote disk

-Is there a work-around/solution for populair mediaplayers like these?

Ans: Not sure, please consult WDTV for explaination;

-Thinking of buying AC Ryan’s FLUXX. Will this be compatible in the near future?

Ans: Please based on QNAP compatibility list   http://www.qnap.com/pro_compatibility_digiMedia.asp

By the way, not sure if it’s the router issue or compatibility issue, please direct connect NAS and WDTV and try agin.

==

So obviously I tried working around the router (Airport Extreme) but no luck. I gave QNAP a response, but I’m not holding my breath.

imageofyou, if you are using IE9 please visit the link below:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/IE9-and-WDC-Forum-Compatibility/td-p/167170

It looks like I found a solution to the issue with my WD TV Live. I’ve tried:

1. Running movie from usb thumbdrive. Didn’t help - movie keep on playing.

2. Updating firmware to the unofficial 1.03.49_V-WDLXTV-Live-0.4.7.3 [flash] from here:  http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=3974 - didn’t help

3. After occasionally unplugging network cable from the device and launching movie I found that the problem has gone. Bingo! - it’s completely network-related (remember, it wasn’t working while playing movie from thumbdrive with the device connected to network).

My home network consists of Asus wl500gp (acting as switch and wireless access point) and home server with windows server 2008 r2 (acting as a router, NAT and file server). So I started looking at my server which is the only place where problems can rsise. Remembering, that latest thing I changed in my server configs was IGMP, I turned it off and restarted server.

That’s it!

The problem now gone (though I’m not sure what exactly did solve the problem - turned off IGMP or just restarted server)

After that I updated firmware to the latest available official version - everything works fine.

I have no IGMP settings in my NAS

WDC Support is looking into it. They took on all the questions and possible setting-errors and solutions.

Cool service. I hope they will be able to identify the problem and bring a solution, perhaps even in the next FW.

Let me know if you find a solution, I too am having the same problem as you.  Would be nice to not have to reset everytime we press stop. 

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Can-t-play-any-videos-after-pressing-stop-on-remote/td-p/199090

The problem still occurs. I might give WDC a call today.

Here’s also a thread:

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=160&t=41697&p=201455#p201455

Keep in touch!

MacFr:  I think the link in your QNAP post that goes to the WDLXTV forum is the most telling.

In that thread, there was a process running on the network SOMEWHERE that caused the DMAOSD to lose contact with the RENDERER.  

On the WDTVs, DMAOSD is the “User Interface” process.   The RENDERER process is what actually processes and displays media.

When DMAOSD invokes the renderer to play a movie (regardless of where it comes from), DMAOSD basically “clears the screen” of all UI elements and gets out of the way, and let’s the renderer run the show.  DMAOSD normally only gets involved with the screen during playback if the user brings up the OPTIONS menu or the status bar or whatever.

In the post you linked, DMAOSD threw out an error saying it had lost contact with the renderer.  If that happens, it has no longer has any way of knowing what the renderer is doing.   If you then press STOP, the normal menu UI will be brought back up because DMAOSD has to assume that the media DID stop.   But since it can’t talk to the renderer, it cannot actually tell the RENDERER to terminate the playback. 

Therefore you get both the movie and its audio on the screen underneath the regular user interface. 

So whose fault is it?   Well, I believe it’s ultimately WD’s issue for two reasons:

1- The DMAOSD process losing contact with the renderer process should be handled more gracefully.  If it needs to, it should just terminate the renderer and restart the process to restore communication.  That would not ultimately fix your problem, because you’d suffer from aborted playback all the time.   But at least your box would remain “communicative” and functional. 

2- WHATEVER it is on your network that’s CAUSING that broken process should be handled gracefully.

So, you’re pretty much stuck at this point with two options as far as using the WD is concerned

1-  Wait for a fix.   It might be a LONG TIME, if ever, because it appears to be a rather rare issue.

2-  Track down what’s happening on your network and eliminate the root cause.

My guess is you have a process running SOMEWHERE that’s sending broadcasts or bad packets to the WD using the same network ports the renderer is using.

1 Like

Thanks TonyPH12345, your help is very much appreciated.

I will try a different router and just have the media player connected to it and see if that does anything.

Thanks for the response,

Maybe I should do a factory reset to clear all settings and try again. So you don’t have any of these issues? And what kind of processes could disturb it? 

MacFr,

in my case there was IGMP routing enabled on the router which caused WDTV to behave erroneously. Just try to minimize the number of network active services on your network to see which one is the reason (torrents, IMs, etc)

A solution has been provided by

quote:

Thanks heaven for finding this thread! I thought I had cooked my WD TV Live somehow, but I solved my problem.

I had the same symptoms as dsenseb.
First avi or mkv plays until the end, but after about 5-10 minutes, the progess bar and time indication stop working.

After that 5-10 minute point, I still can navigate file structure but a second file does not play ("unable to play the selected file").

Also, the first file (sound) plays in the background and i can go back playing it but now with blue rotating circle showing.
All this happens also on USB drives, not only on network shares.

Tried reburn Firmware 1.05.04_V, tried 1.03.49_V, tried ice packs, all to no avail…
But having read this thread, I swithed off my QNAP (TS 219, 3.4.3 Build 0520T) and after it I could play fine from USB!
So TonyPh12345 was right (“NAS is … locking up the players because of some sort of packets it’s sending on the network”).

With QNAP on again, I started disabling various services and found that “UPnP Port Forwarding” is the culprit.
(MyCloudNAS Service - Auto Router Configuration - Enable UPnP Port Forwarding; uncheck this option to disable)

So anybody with similar problems, check your NAS and possibly other equipment that are trying to program your UPnP router.

1 Like

chriswadurand wrote:

I have the BlackArmor 400 NAS and have the same problem using both File Share and DNLA access.

How do we raise this as a bug and request it to be fixed?

Thanks

Chris

Have you updated your Black Armor to the latest firmware update?  We cannot reproduce this problem any further with the latest Black Armor update.