Media Playback won't start

I have a new WD TV Live streamer that plays audio and video files from a NAS (LG N2R1DD1) and plays streamed audio (e.g… spotify) and video (e.g… youtube). It works as expected, except for one thing: when it has been idling for some time, for example overnight, it will not start playback. The menu browsing is just as usual, but when I press a button to kick-off the playback (either pressing “OK” or “play” when a media file is selected), the device will start showing the turning arrowed circle indefinitely. The only way to get out of this state is to press back, after which I can browse the menu system just as before. But any attempt to play back media ends up with the same turning arrow. It doesn’t make a difference if it is online streaming or NAS playback. The only way to get out of this semi-locked state is to restart the device. It does not resolve by reinitiating the network connection or switching between wifi and Ethernet.

Sometimes above problem will also occur between songs when listening to spotify. The “next” song will never start playing and the device has to be restarted.

I have tried connecting to my network using both Wifi and Ethernet cable. I have tried both manual and automatic (DHCP) network setup.

The home network has following topology:

1. mobile internet modem (HSPA) router with wifi, WAN port connected to
  2. Ethernet switch, connected to
    3a. WD TV Live (when using Ethernet) and
    4a. another Ethernet switch, connected to
    5a. NAS
    5b. printer

I have successfully used the same network topology with another streaming media player (popcorn hour).

WD has been quite helpful in troubleshooting but without any solution. Also the retailer has been helpful, and they replaced the device. The same behavior with the second device!

I’ve searched this forum but could not find any posts with similar problems - did I miss them? If not - what is so special in my setup?

Any help or ideas greatly appreciated!

I suggest you to submit this post in the WD SMP Issues board: 

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/idb-p/streaming_issues

Thanks, I’ve posted as you proposed instead. Closing this thread. If you have a solution or suggestion, please post here: 

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Issue/Media-Playback-won-t-start-after-idle-period/idi-p/340399