MKV corrupt frame crashes

Hello everyone, I searched for this issue but couldn’t find any postings about it, so I’ll post this here.

I’ve just recently purchased a WDTV Live and really am quite pleased with it, but I have had one issue that has bothered me.

Some of the MKVs (only videos I’ve seen this error with so far) that have a corrupt frame(s) in a certain portion of the video track will cause the WDTV Live’s playback to crash/stop and put you right back to the file selection menu. I’ve been able to reproduce the problem time after time, then take the same video file and find the exact frames causing the issue, repair them, and the video plays without a hitch.

Now, what I’d like to know is if there is any way to get the WDTV to skip corrupt frames similar to how VLC or Media Player Classic does? I’d rather live with a few oddly colored/skipped frames than being unable to continue past a certain point in a particular video. I’m unable to fast forward past that point as the WDTV appears to do the same thing when trying.

Also, I’m using the newest firmware available.

Hopefully someone has some suggestions. :slight_smile:

No, there is no way to skip corrupt sections in a media file.

Video and audio decoding in the WDTV Live is done by specialized hardware. The hardware expects valid media streams. If a stream is corrupt, at best it stops, at worst it crashes the device. Similar to what a computer would do when it encouters invalid code.

Software media players (e.g. VLC, MPC) are quite different. They have various levels of resiliency programmed in. They have been programmed to work around bad media streams which would be difficult (if not impossible) to do with a hardware decoder.

Novahawk wrote:

Now, what I’d like to know is if there is any way to get the WDTV to skip corrupt frames similar to how VLC or Media Player Classic does?

Well, you could always create valid encodes to start with, and then there’s nothing to be concerned about. :wink:

To date I have no corrupt frames in any of my encodes.