MKV Muxing

Hi, 

I have this file… 

…the audio doesn’t play on WDTVLive… so now i dload and install MKV merge  http://www.videohelp.com/download/mkvtoolnix-unicode-4.0.0-setup.exe

i’ve added the .mkv file (input files)… now under that is a box with the video and 2 audio and text files all ticked… do i untick the text and video box and start muxing or just start muxing with all boxes tick? 

sorrty for the noob Q’s… never mux before.

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 1h 39mn
Nominal bit rate : 160 Kbps
Width : 720 pixels
Height : 400 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 29.970 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.019
Writing library : x264 core 66 r0+1113 cc4f807
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:1:1 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=4 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=3 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / bframes=10 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40(pre) / rc=2pass / bitrate=160 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00
Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : HE-AAC / LC
Codec ID : A_AAC
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz / 24.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Title : English
Language : English
Audio #2
ID : 3
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : HE-AACv2 / HE-AAC / LC
Codec ID : A_AAC
Channel(s) : 2 channels / 2 channels / 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R / Front: L R / Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz / 48.0 KHz / 24.0 KHz
Compression mode : Lossy
Title : Japanese
Language : Japanese
Text
ID : 4
Format : UTF-8
Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
Title : English Subtitle
Language : English

so much for ‘community’ forum… disapointing nobody on this forum willing to give 5min’s of their time to help me get audio sound working on WDTVLive… 

I just saw your post and I do use MKV merge. you can click every thing if you want but to keep the file size low I would get rid of the surround aac because the current model does not support it.  I usually use MKV merge when I have a MKV or mp4 with good video and bad audio and I have a Good audio file.

Example a 480p video with DTS and a 720P video with aac.

I would put both videos in and unclick the first video track and unclick the aac track, then merge.

The important thing to know is that surround aac is not supported that is why your not getting sound and you can just switch from surround to stereo in the player itself so you dont need to demux and remerge the video from what I saw of the codec you posted.  If you do want surround how ever you will need to get the surround sound in a different format like AC3 or DTS. 

There is a free program online that you can download ( I currently forget the name, I will find it when I am in front of my home computer later) that will convert the surround aac to dolby surround for free and you will have to pay for the dts conversion.  It then creates a copy of the video file with the converted sound for you and then you dont have to use MKV merge.

I will post the name of the program as soon as I find it until then hold tight.

Told you Id be back.  I found the program you need far more than MKVmerge.  Popcorn MKV Audio Converter.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PopCorn_MKV_AudioConverter

It can even convert Ogg and Flac to other formats because the WDtv live plus does not support the surround formats for those either, and the Ogg playback in stereo is messed up, it pops and goes out of sync.

If only there was a subtitle editor this easy.

Hi dude,

Thank for the replies… The MediaInfo i’ve posted doesn’t play any sound even when i select stereo sound on the WDTV player… otherwise i wouldn’t have bother trying to Mux the audio…

anyway i did try Muxing with MKV Merge but for some unknown reason its completely sent my laptop into a big crash (Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working. Message keeps popping up).

took me forever to get my laptop back up working again… funny thing is i don’t even have internet explorer on my laptop, im using google chrome browser… so had delete the MKV Merge software…

I’d try the popcorn MKV audio converter… cannot get the file to convert AAC to AC3… ? read through the tutorial… tried and try but still no sound coming though my av speaker… 

Q’s… the source file and the target file are suppose to be in the same folder?? 

thanks for you helped so far carlrhxphn…

you dont need to have them in the same folder.

try to see if both the WD and the converter  works with a different file.  It could be that it is the file that is messed up.

It looks like you have 2 audio tracks on the file did you try switching from the from the AAC digital track to the AAC stereo.  I dont mean in the audio settings menu but when the actual movie is playing.

hi again,

you’re right… the file in question is messed up :cry:

it just didnt want to covert to AC3 (no processing or nothing, just bypass the files after half a sec)… tried another file in my collection with AAC no sound on WDTV and it process it fine…so i guess the file is kinda corrupt… nevermind… least i know i wasn’t going mad lol

but yeah dude, thanks for linking me that popcorn audio converter, very useful tools to have and for your inputs…

cheers,