Losing network connection

WDTV Live has somehow lost my network connection a couple of times. I had to set it up again, which isn’t trivial because of the slow wifi pasword entry! I powered off from the WDTV remote afterwards and back on again and it was OK, but has got me baffled.

I’m having no other problems related to my router.

Any ideas as to possible cause please?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

terrypin,

Do you obtain the same results with a static IP configuration or an IP address reservation on your router?

Thanks JStaff but I’m afraid you’re outside my skill level! I’m no techie, just an experienced end-user.

I did try something last night and so far i haven’t lost the connection again. I removed the D-Link receiver device connected to the WDTV Live box and replaced it again. Must be a couple of years since I did that and I was thinking maybe the contacts were now a bit iffy. But that could be just luck so far.

Terry,

Sometimes a network gets its brains scrambled by a power fluctuation, etc.  If a network that has been working fine suddenly doesn’t, just turn EVERY component in the network completely off (unplug if necessary) .  Then, turn it back on in a logical order, starting with the modem, then the router, and then the attached network devices.  This is the equivalent of rebooting the PC when it goes wacko.

Thanks Mike, another day gone by and still OK so I’ll hope that it was indeed such a glitch.