Is the USB port on "WD TV LIVE" really unprotected?

You are obviously not at all familiar with the WD Live - What you claim is false.  I have extensively used the WD Live, and I can tell you that the WDLive works the same way as your computer in regards to sharing.

Keep in mind when you are networking you can SELECTIVELY share folders as opposed to complete drives, hiding all the unecessary folders.  I have done it and it works.

However, when attaching a hard drive DIRECTLY to the unit, it’s not networking, and your WD Live device will treat the hard drive the same way a computer would treat it, and allow view of all folders.

Hard Drives are very cheap now, why in God’s name would you use your family’s hard drive with your WD Live ? Buy a dedicated big enough HDD to put your movies and media files on it and use that with your WD Live.   OR use networking, that’s the best way and you can selectively access folders you want.  I have a 45m long cat 5e network cable running from the floors, from router to the WDLive and networked with my computer’s HDD, only the movie folders, and it works 10)0% !

If you are going to use an external HDD with your WD Live, why would you use your system drive or drive with data on it, that is not a smart thing to do.

Security is YOUR  responsibility.

1 Like