I wish the WDTV supported PGS subtitles

WD are you listening?  Any updates coming?

It has for some time now…

Oh, we’ll whatever subtitle file type that MAKE MKV creates doesn’t work. I thought that was PGS. From what I’ve read it is. I’ve read about having to do further conversion to the MKV to make the subtitles work with wdtv but I have 600 fils and that would be a pain!

You should read properly then, the WDTV Live supports PGS subs when they are compressed with zlib which is the default in MKVToolnix and done when using the WDTV profile in MakeMKV.

Can you please send me a link to step by step instructions on how to do this.  I find it confusing.  Also does this mean I need to reconvert all my movies???  I currently only use MakeMKV for my processing.  What’s MKVTooknix???

What’s annoy is VLC player on my computer can see the subtitles of all my movies without issue.  I don’t see why the WDTV can’t just read them!  I would imagine this wouldn’t be hard at all for them to bake right into the WDTV box!!

Why should we have to jump through hoops to make something so basic work!?

http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5541

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6352

canadianjpjd wrote:

What’s MKVTooknix???

Do I really have to point you to Google/Wikipedia?

canadianjpjd wrote:

What’s annoy is VLC player on my computer can see the subtitles of all my movies without issue.

Actually, what’s annoying is people comparing a basically unlimited software player that’s also specifially designed to handle bad/damaged files with a limited system that depends entirely on a Sigmatek chip.

canadianjpjd wrote:

Subs being compressed with zlib is the MKV standard’s default setting! Why should WD jump through hoops and support files that aren’t spec compliant?

Open your current rips in MKVmerge and save them to another file, it will automatically compress the subs (or write a batch that will do it on the command line for all files in a folder). Turn on Expert Mode in MakeMKV and select the WDTV profile under advanced for your future rips.

Thanks for your help Rich.  Much appriciated!

canadianjpjd wrote:

What’s MKVTooknix???

Do I really have to point you to Google/Wikipedia?

If I wasn’t having a problem finding the specifics I wouldn’t have asked!  Thanks for being so smug!

canadianjpjd wrote:

What’s annoy is VLC player on my computer can see the subtitles of all my movies without issue.

Actually, what’s annoying is people comparing a basically unlimited software player that’s also specifially designed to handle bad/damaged files with a limited system that depends entirely on a Sigmatek chip.

Either way it can handle SUBTITLES!

canadianjpjd wrote:

Subs being compressed with zlib is the MKV standard’s default setting! Why should WD jump through hoops and support files that aren’t spec compliant?

If they support the VIDEO and AUDIO then they should support the SUBTITLES.  IMO.

Open your current rips in MKVmerge and save them to another file, it will automatically compress the subs (or write a batch that will do it on the command line for all files in a folder). Turn on Expert Mode in MakeMKV and select the WDTV profile under advanced for your future rips.

Okay, thanks.  Glad you were able to eventually get off your high horse to offer help.

canadianjpjd wrote:

If they support the VIDEO and AUDIO then they should support the SUBTITLES.  

Which they DO! And no, pointing out the obvious has nothing to do with high horses.