I need some advice from experienced users

Hi folks

Just received my WD TV Live player today. I’m looking for a wireless router and I’m currently looking at a Netgear WNDR3400 ( http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wirelessrouters/high-performance/WNDR3400.aspx).

Does any of you have any experience using this with the WD TV Live? I’m probably going to wire the WD TV box to the router.

So please, some input before I go spend my money on an incompatible router. I’m aware of the compatability list, but as I understand it’s not complete.

Thanks.

If the product is not on the official WD list DO NOT purchase it.

thepanoguy wrote:

If the product is not on the official WD list DO NOT purchase it.

Abosulute bollocks. Just about any router from a well known manufacturer will work.

What won’t work is USB WIFI adaptors that are not on the  tested and approved list.

@parnott100, “Just about” does not indicate 100% compatibility and reliability. Obviously you have not read through the networking issues on this forum. The computer market is full of rubbish unreliable products including brand names. If the original poster lacks the technical expertise to evaluate technical issues and make a technically informed decision when purchasing a product then I would strongly advise that person to use a recommended WD product and DO NOT take advice from anyone hiding behind an alias identity.

Hey guys don’t rip each others heads off.

I was just asking, becuase the list of officially white-listed products is limited to say the least. Some of the products are pretty dated, too. Also, the availability in my area (Denmark) is also pretty limited.

I was just asking if anybody had any experience with the product as I would cover some of other needs, for example WiFi coverage, hardwired lan capabilities and other features.

So, to reiterate: if any of you have positive experience with a mordern router, please let me know.

That entire list is just a list of products that WD has tested and confirmed works.

(Even then, products on their list still have issues.)

So, in general, any router that:

- Properly handles DHCP

- Properly handles WiFI according to 802.11 standards

- Doesn’t have a lot of bells & whistles (like DLNA and Samba sharing) 

- Properly supports UPnP

will work just fine.

Even ones that DO have bells and whistles will work fine, sometimes with some tweaking required (like the Cisco products that can’t do SAMBA correctly to save their lives.)

So, buy one, keep the receipt, try it, and it’ll probably work.   If not, try another.

hi there

• me I am having modem/router of a Polish Company named DGT , it works perfect

• have tried too previously using : linksys varous types  and  sagem 

regards

pawson

Thanks for your input.

I’ll just try one of the netgear routers.

Whats the point of that list if some still have issues.

Mayby they should do a black-list instead…

thanse21,

I have been using a Cisco E1000 unit very successfully with my wired connection.  No glitches whatsoever.  I get a lot of the HD streams via NetFlix and HuluPlus with no hiccups.

WDLivePlus → TrendNet Switch → Cisco E1000 Router → Aaris Touchstone cablemodem → ISP

LA.