I can't get network shares to work

I have tried everything but so far nothing will do it.  I know the device can pick up connections as I can access Pandora / Youtube and use the Media Connect option.

But I want to access my video network share directly without having to go through Media Connect.  I know the shares work on other systems.   I’m at a loss at this time as to how to get this working as it’s not like I have a lot of control what I can do to configure this.

And shouldn’t I first see what folders are available when I click on “Network Shares” then “Home Server”?  I would expect all my folder shares to show up and then ask for a prompt for login

I have no idea what Media Connect is… I know it’s unnecessary because I never use it, hence why I have no idea what it is. As to your other question, that’s a matter of preference, I guess. Either way, you have to log in, so having a reduced set of choices based on credentials is fine with me…

Windows Media Connect which can be used for streaming to other devices.  I don’t want to use it though

Just want to be able to use network shares as expected

Andy_D wrote:

And shouldn’t I first see what folders are available when I click on “Network Shares” then “Home Server”?  I would expect all my folder shares to show up and then ask for a prompt for login

No, first of all you have to connect to the shared device which would be I assme ‘Home Server’ and then you will see the folders that you have shared.

Have a look at the faq to see if this helps you with your problem

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/WDTV-FAQ/td-p/32135

I had the same problem connecting to shared folders. It turns out that the WD TV Live does not do so well with symbols & special characters in passwords. When I changed my Windows password to something using only letters & numbers I connected right away.