Hub can't see removable drives on network

I have a router plugged into the back of my wdtv live, connects to my pc network via wireless. I have one folder on the pc internal hard drive shared, which shows up fine, and another two on two separate removable hdd’s, that don’t show up…

Also, VOB files don’t show up at all!

Are you accessing them with Media Server, or Network Shares?

Media Server. From what I have read, using Network Shares might solve the VOB problem, but when I choose Samba it says there is no storage present…

Ya, if you’re using the Media Server option then you’ll only get what files the Server will send.  E.g. if you use the built-in WMP server, then you get no VOB, no ISO, no MKV*, etc…

Most Servers don’t go much past the DLNA specs in terms of allowed filetypes.  For some folks, where all their files are DLNA compliant, this isn’t an issue.

If the sharing is set up properly, you should have no issues accessing the drives.

How are you trying?  What settings are on the PC and the shared folders and on the WDTV?

I know “anonymous” shares do work, but in my case I set up a separate user on the PC called “WDTV”, and anything I want shared, I share explicitly with the “WDTV” user.  I then have the WDTV connect as “WDTV”, with the proper password, and have never had the slightest issue with it accessing either internal drives on the PC or external drives connected to the PC, just as long as the folders I want to share, are shared with the “WDTV” user.

ETA: I know things vary by Win version, but in Win7 my “Advanced Sharing Settings” are:

• Network Discovery => ON
  • File &  Printer Sharing => ON
  • Public Folder Sharing => OFF (I don’t use 'em)
  • Media Streaming => ON (That’s for WMP Media Server, should have no effect on Network Shares)
  • 128-bit Encryption
  • Password-Protected Sharing => ON  (Thus, I need the “WDTV” user, or another user… no anonymous login)
  • HomeGroup => OFF, use User Accounts and Passwords

The PCs and the WDTV are in the same “Workgroup”.

On the WDTV, the “Auto Login” is set to ON in the settings.

Then, I just had to enter the “WDTV” user name, and it’s password, once when I first hooked things up, and the Net Shares have been there ever since, no matter what folders I subsequently share or unshare with “WDTV”.  I keep adding new ones all the time. :wink:  Especially on external drives connected to the PC.

*without extra effort.