How to connect the WD TV Live media player to my network?

Hi everyone! I bought a WD TV Live media player hoping it was going to be friendly but after several hours I still couldn’t make it connect to my network. :stuck_out_tongue:

Everything started perfectly. The first time I plugged in the device it automatically recognized my WiFi network and connected to it. I was able to watch some videos on YouTube and my Facebook account, so I assume the Internet connection is fine.

The nightmare started when I tried to look for movies in my PC. In the Videos option I chose Network Share. At first, I could see all the devices connected to my network (that is, my PC and a Notebook). When I tried to access to either of them, I was required to enter a username and password. My first thought was “**bleep**?” because I never set up a password.

After a couple of tries I looked for a solution online and came up with this forum. I read several topics but I believe these 2 are the best:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Networking/Troubleshooting-Windows-File-Sharing/m-p/92642#U92642

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/How-to-resolve-Network-shares-access-problems/td-p/551112

However, I couldn’t completely solve my problem with them. I also read the full User’s Manual. With all, I was able to make a third option appear in the “Network Share”. Now, apart from my PC and my Notebook, I can also see the option “WORKGROUP”. I still can’t connect to my PC or Notebook because of the user/password issue, but it lets me connect to WORKGROUP using “anonymous” and a blank password. However, once it connects, a message appears saying there is nothing shared.

Disregarding the problem about connecting directly to my PC and Notebook, how can I share files through the WORKGROUP?

In my PC I can see the WDTVLive connected to the network but it doesn’t allow me to perform any specific action with it.

Hi there, I’m the guy who wrote the second link you put in your message.  Assuming everything else is done right, the solutions described works.  I suggest you don’t use a password at first.  If you want one, do it later.  Don’t know why you see WORKGROUP as a share (think I saw it once – boogy men in the system.  Reboot.  So, I think things are bunged a bit, so why not turn off all your puters, modem, router, WD – anyything about or connected to your network and start afresh.

Once all is off, turn on things in this order:  modem, router, main PC, then the WD and TV…  See if things work now.  Of course, let every unit fully boot and settle in before turning on the next one.  Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for answering Mike! I did as you said and now I can access mi PC. I appreciate it!

Now I have a couple of questions! :slight_smile:

Does this WD TV Live media player has a built-in HDD to store movies, photos, etc or do I always need a network connection?

Regarding movies, do I manually have to search for subtitles or is there an option for automatically finding subtitles online?

Great!  Once again, the “solution” is REBOOT EVERYTHING!  Funny, how that simple thing can fix problems.

Does this WD TV Live media player has a built-in HDD to store movies, photos, etc or do I always need a network connection?

OK, another thing that answers questions is the MANUAL.  So, if you don’t have the user manual, then download the PDF from the WD Support area.  The only WD players with internal HDDs are the Hub models.  I have two drives connected to my Live Plus.  Using the network is not the best way; too many issues for most noobie folks.  If one is serious oabout streaming media, they need attached drive(s).

Regarding movies, do I manually have to search for subtitles or is there an option for automatically finding subtitles online?

Movie files have subtitles built-in.  How to create files and use feature movies from DVDs is an entirely different topic for a different thread.   Hang out in this forum and you will learn about it.

Ok. Again, thanks for answering! I suppose the next step is to buy an external drive. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep, time to get an external drive.  They are not expensive anymore.  1TB for less than $100.  Check at newegg.com or Amazon.

I keep videos and a copy of my iTunes music on the drive so I can listen to it thru the WD (and stereo)  – like I am doing right now!