How do I get movies streaming on my computer to the TV?

To date I have just used my WD Live Plus to watch movies and TV shows from Netflix or from a USB drive. However, I have access to movies that I can stream on my computer, but can’t figure out how to get them on the TV. I’d appreciate any help anyone can offer.  Thanks.  

If I am understanding correctly, you want to connect your Live+ to a remote computer that has videos on it and play them?

From the main screen

1) scroll to “videos” and hit enter

2) You will have the options for “Local Media”, Network Share" and "Media Server.

3) Choose “Network Share” and you will be provided with a list of available shares on your network. Choose the one that contains the movies that you would like to play.

Alternately you could do this via Media Server if the videos are on a computer running an DLNA media sever.

*Make sure your shares and permissions are setup correctly on the computer you are trying to access.

Good Luck

-P

I’m still confused because I assume that if I’m streaming a movie on my computer, that there isn’t a file for me to point to. Is that right? 

You cannot stream movies directly from your PC unless they are actual files. For example you cannot stream Netflix on your computer and then make it stream to your WD player.

richUK wrote:

You cannot stream movies directly from your PC unless they are actual files. For example you cannot stream Netflix on your computer and then make it stream to your WD player.

Though Rich is right, that is how it works natively. You can add a media server like PlayOn to your computer that will manage the netfix / hulu etc stream, and then pass it over DLNA to you WD Device. No real reason to do this though since you get Netflix natively on your WD already.

I feel like we are missing something here on what you are trying to do.

Do you have a streaming service that your computer gets that the WD Live+ does not have an app for that you are trying to get from your computer to your Live+? If that is the case, As above I would look into PlayOn. It is a media server that takes internet streams and then serves them over DLNA to the media server option on your Live+. It works well for streams that the Live+ cannot get, such as Amazon, TED Talks etc. 

Tell us what you are getting streamed to your PC that you want you WD Live+ to be able to play and we may be able to point you to a media server you can run on your computer that can do this for you. It would be an extra app and may have a minimal cost associated with it.

Back to RichUK’s post, if you do not have an app for it on your live+ (which has a pretty limited amount of internet apps), you cannot run it without a 3rd party add on server for your computer.

Check out www.playon.tv for some options. Several of us here are successfully using it to get streams that WD does not have apps for. A very nice product for the $$ IMHO

-P