Frequent Advisor
Anime_fan

Re: How-To: Convert a BluRay to MKV -- With SUBTITLES INCLUDED.

I'm saying sorry to Tony, for my agressive words.  And I believe lots of WD TV users benifit from his solution.

As a newbie here, I was eager to share something I know with everyone. I meant no harm. 

Anyway, I'm confident with my solutions - I use MakeMKV and Pavtube ByteCopy to copy BD and DVD to MKV from time to time and they never let me down.  Both allows you keep the audio and subtitles you like, removing ones you don't like.

The thing with WD TV is, it support MKV playback and certain subtitles (srt, ssa, sami, vobsub, etc). But it does not support the original blu-ray subtitles (pgs) in MKV.  So you get to switch the pgs to something it can read- Tony did this in the above steps.  This is good.  I just want to point out this process could be simpler with other app- the ByteCopy does change pgs to vobsub without transcoding video or audio. And it costs less than AnyDVD HD or DVDfab. I liked DVDfab, till it became a shareware.  Now I'm a Pavtube fan and recommend their app to my friends. They did write a guide for WD TV Live Plus, I think you'll give it a chance after you read it: 

http://www.pavtube.com/guide/enjoy-blu-ray-movies-on-hdtv-with-wd-tv-live-plus-hd-media%20player.htm...

I believe it's a very considerate solution. If you have better idea, kindly let me know. I'm always looking for better solutions.

Blu-ray - 1080p - MKV- HDTV - WD
Regular Advisor
palavering

Tony: As I've stated before, thanks so much for the effort you made to provide me and others a means to 1) convert BD files; 2)pointed to the correct software to use; 3) provided a means to diminish the size of a BD (MKV file); and 4) to be able to include subtitles in the MKV file.

At the moment, I am converting the M2TS file to an MKV file, using Handbrake.  The last step that remains for me to accomplish is to add the subtitles using MKVmerge.  Since it appears that it'll take 5 hours! to convert the M2TS file using Handbrake, I'll let you know the outcome much later today.  I am very curious what the video quality will be like.

At any rate, for others who might want to use the process you've described, if they follow your directions explicitly I doubt that they'll have a problem.  

Much thanks and many kudos!

Regular Advisor
palavering

I appreciated what you had to say and I'm going to try both the BD converters that you recommended. I'll let you know how I make out.  Thanks.

Regular Advisor
palavering

Well, after 3 days of trials, for my purposes, I find using BDInfo and TSMuxer the most satisfying.  It's easy to use, relatively fast, gives me the subtitles that I long for, and the BD picture quality I require.  I find that the TSmuxer, by virtue of removing all the foreign subtitles I won't use and ignoring the extra audio tracks that I don't need, does a great (and quick) job and decreases file size by 40 percent most of the time.  Moreover, the software is free!  BDIfo let's me know which tracks I need, as some BDs use several track (Try Disney!).

In the end, I suppose the software you use is going to be determined by your personal preferences.  And herein lies the real point to be made:  WD Live works with all of them!

Frequent Advisor
MikeF

[ Edited ]

Very useful Tony!

I have the tools and you are generous to help others with this tutorial. These are  free and i think well regarded tools.

But you still end up with large files. Is this not an issue for you?

I find it fine for SD material but use Handbrake to reduce the video size by a factor of 5  for BD and get near identical quality. I use audio passthru.The downside is 5-6 hours of processing!

I'd be really interested in views on the size issue.

Regular Advisor
palavering

In my experience, a finished file size of 25 GB is fine, considering its BD with DTS 5.1 and subtitles.  And it takes only several minutes, not hours, to rip the file, and the quality is very high.  That's my opinion, but I'm sure others may disagree.  

Valued Contributor
Cocovanna

I certainly prefer a size of 5-10GB compared to 25-35GB ... especially when you want to keep a backup (and I do). There is no visual difference, as described several times in this forum.

Cocovanna

Regular Advisor
palavering

I have to disagree with you.  I think there is a discernible visual difference.  So does my wife.  But I'm only offering an opinion, not a technical fact.  Again, it's all in the eye of the beholder.  It is also true that backing up one's video files must be a consideration.  I own a WHS 2011 system that I built, so it's not a problem for me technically or financially.  But that certainly isn't true for everyone.  

You always offer sound advice and I appreciate it.  Thank you.

Honored Contributor
Techflaws

Also, my backup is the original BD.

Tech Flaws
Things can only get better

Philips DVP3260/5990 FAQ
Valued Contributor
Cocovanna

Techflaws wrote:

Also, my backup is the original BD.

Yeah, but it is really a LOT of work to rerip the complete collection, when the HD fails. Restoring 1 TB from a backup is done in a few hours (without me participating). And some of my disk (especially TV series) requires special treatment.

Cocovanna

Forums | Ideas | News and Announcements | Register | Sign in | Help | Forum Guidelines
Copyright © 2001 - 2014 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved. | Trademarks | Privacy | Community Terms of Service | Site Terms of Use | Copyright | Contact WD