HELP! My WD HD Media Player will not play any media but recognizes the content on hard drive

I have owned my WD HD Media Player for about 6 months now, it is one of the best Media Players I have ever seen. My “box” has been working flawlessly until last week. I went to my friends house and we were trying to watch a movie off my 1.5TB external hard drive and the box would not play it. It was working for the first few short videos but then I tried to switch to a movie and it would have trouble playing it. I was able to navagate through my external hard drive, I was able to go through all my folders and see all my files on the external hard drive. The problem was that when I clicked on a file to play it would give the play icon but it would say 0:00:00/0:00:00 as if it was trying to load but it was never able to load. I tried on multiple different files and different formats and nothing would work. After repetively turning the system on and off, about the 20th time, it finally played a movie file. I tried switching to another movie and it would be stuck on loading again. I even tried to replay the small video files that I played at the first startup and it wouldn’t work. I have been trying almost every day since and it has been giving me hell.

I know that it most likely isn’t the hard drive because it works on my computer.

What is wrong with my box? How can I fix it?

Should I delete the .wd_tv folder from my external hard drive and make it reinstall the files? What should I do?

By the way I will be leaving on a trip to the countryside where it will be hard to find internet connection but I try to find some way to check on here. Please try to give as much detail and walkthroughs if you can.

THANKS,

JON

Welcome to the forums.

Without you posting MediaInfo on the movie you tried to play that gave you problems it’s impossible to say for sure, but it *sounds* like you played an MKV made with a  “bad” version of MKVMerge (greater than 4.0).  Once you do that it will then give you the symptoms you describe (and the only way to fix it is to reset the Live as well as unplug from power for at least 10 minutes).

So first – reset your Live (with the paperclip hole in the side or through the menu) and unplug for at least 10 minutes.  Then _ do not play any MKV file _ or it will do this again (you need to be sure of the file you are playing and since you’re on the road this may be difficult.  Let it wait until you get back.  Play files you’ve made yourself or anything other than an MKV file).  When you get back home you can fix those files (using a version of MKVMerge 4.0 or earlier or later versions with header compression turned off).

If you aren’t playing MKV files then none of this applies and you have a different problem (so just ignore this message completely – in that case you might want to try playing movies off a different drive.  However, I’d still reset the Live as described above).