HDD only recognized after reset

Hello,

I am having this annoying problem that my drive (a WD MyBook Studio) is only recognized if I do a ‘Reset to factory defaults’. Otherwise it the USB icon just keep blinking. After a reset the drive is recognized relatively quick and everything else seems to just work. I don’t seem to have this problem with any other drives.

I hope you can throw a little light on this issue and perhaps help me find a solution.

I on firmware version 1.02.21 and the drive is newly formatted using HFS+ (non-journaled).

Thanks in advance

Muzak

Any one experienced this?

You say its not recognised until you do a rest to factory defaults. What do you do then to make the WDTV not recognise it. (for example - go to standby or unplug the WDTV from the power socket)

Your post was forwarded to me.  We have not had any reported issues with the My Book Studio and the WDTV Live units having a compatibility issue.  Could you please verify the Model number of your My Book Studio and I will have this escalated and test for verification.

richUK wrote:

You say its not recognised until you do a rest to factory defaults. What do you do then to make the WDTV not recognise it. (for example - go to standby or unplug the WDTV from the power socket)

When I do a factory reset the drive is recognized. When I put the unit on standby and back on it is no longer recognized. If I unplug the unit it acts the same as if doing the reset thing - the drive is recognized.

James_K wrote:

Your post was forwarded to me.  We have not had any reported issues with the My Book Studio and the WDTV Live units having a compatibility issue.  Could you please verify the Model number of your My Book Studio and I will have this escalated and test for verification.

That would be great and really appreciated! The model number says WD5000H1Q-00.

I just read that someone is having the same problem with a WD MyBook Elite Edition. So it might be an issue with these WD drives?

I confirm that my WD MyBook Elite Edition (WDBAAH0015HCH) was no recognized when I put it to standby for a long time (a night for example). The USB icon is off and stay off. If I do a reset or unplug the unit, the HDD will be recognized

muzak wrote:

So it might be an issue with these WD drives?

No, I think not. I have (had) the same issue rarely with a Maxtor Basics and a WD Elements Drive. Unplug and plug in again was the solution here too. But I’ve made the observation that sometimes after a few minutes (~5 min or more) the drive was recognized again without intervention of me. Very strange.

Okay. So even though it is a slightly different pattern (e.g. my problem is consequent and can be semi-solved consequently) it could indicate a bug in the firmware, which causes some drives to not being recognized (incl. some of WD’s own).

But what causes the communication fail between certain drives and the TV LIVE is a hard to tell. If it is just random which drives work or doesn’t work it is a major bug, because the consumer wound’t really know which HDD to buy.

I am hoping to hear from others with similar problem or the like. Also if anyone have an idea of how to get a little deeper into the problem please tell.

Perhaps a firmware downgrade could lead to something. But is this even possible?

@jago_ and Totof13: What file system are you using?

After updating the latest firmware my external hard drive (generic external case with WD HD) would not detect and still hasn’t as of today. I have done a factory reset and a complete power down but it wont reconised in either usb port. I know the drive works. I have tried it on a standard WDTV and my PC and it detects fine. The lastest firmware is the issue for sure. Before the update my external hard drive worded just fine in the WDTV Live.

palms

i have the same problem since the last update of my wd live.  i have a WD mypassport drive. on my pc the drive works fine. on my wd live not. another (noname) drive works fine on the WD live. the “smartware” drive is deactivated on my WD dirve.

oliver

@muzak: My file system is NTFS.

But i think the file system doesn’t matter. And I went back to 1.01.24 and same problem

I have 3 WD Elements I use with my WDTV. 2 x 1TB (NTFS 4KB Cluster; NTFS 64KB Cluster) and 1 x 1.5 TB (NTFS 4KB Cluster). After applying the firmware upgrade to 1.02.21 there’s an issue detecting the 1.5 TB drive. So far resets and reconnects haven’t changed anything. I will try downgrading if possible.

Downgrading to 1.01.24 resolved the issue!

Okay. This - and problems a like - seems to more common than I thought. From where do you get the older firmware?

muzak wrote:

Okay. This - and problems a like - seems to more common than I thought. From where do you get the older firmware?

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Update-Version-1-02-21/td-p/16917/page/2

second post down. Follow all the instructions.

muzak wrote:

@jago_ and Totof13: What file system are you using?

I’am using NTFS as filesystem.

richUK wrote:

muzak wrote:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Update-Version-1-02-21/td-p/16917/page/2

second post down. Follow all the instructions.

Okay. With this firmware my drive is recognized. So this is definitely a 1.02.21 firmware issue. That’s a sad since some of my files can’t be played on this firmware and I also loved the subtitle location options. WD - Please address these bugs, since most people wound’t dream of a WD drive that doesn’t work with their own media player.

Anyone know how to get WD techies to read this? I believe this is a pretty serious bug.

No issues were found when using the My Book Studio model # WDH1Q and the WDTV Live unit. 

You might want to try ensuring that you are using the latest version of firmwar for the Studio drive (1034) if you are not already running this version or have not already updated.  You can get it at the link below.  You will need to use USB connection to your computer and please extract the updater from the ZIP folder prior to running the update.

If this does not work, you may want to RMA the drive and see if that correct the issue.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=113&sid=100&lang=en

Thanks for your time, James! Really appreciated.

I don’t remember if upgraded this drive. Is there any way to determine the firmware version?