Freezing when playing some video - have to reset continually

Hi there,

I am having to continually reset the WD TV Live on a daily basis as it is having issues playing some files. The orange circle arrow just spins when I select to play some files which are stored on my WD My Book Live. If I go back to the video folders and try another file (which has played previously) that then also doesn’t play, the spinning arrow just stays there.

The only way around this I have found is to reset the device but this is taken an age as I’m having to input my wifi password everytime. Does anyone know how to solve this? I should point out that after the reset, the file which initially causes the freeze then plays ok. It’s also not one particular file but many I have saved - it seems to be a random problem. But it is happening at least once per day and becoming very frustrating. Is there a fix for this? I have updated to the latest firmware on installing the WD TV Live and when it works it works great.

Any help would be much appreciated - it feels like a bug in their software. 

You probably have a ‘bad’ file which causes the player to hang up. Once this happens you cannot play any file until the player is reset. Are you absolutely sure that you can play exactly the same file which caused the hang up? What type of file is it that you are playing when the player crashes. Post mediainfo on a file which you definitely know hangs up the player, thats the first one and not the others that follow.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Originally I thought it was a bad file but I can confirm this is definitely not the issue. For example, today I was watching some GoPro videos which I had taken on a recent holiday. I watched about 5, all the same file type, and then the 6th just froze with the arrow circling. After a reset it played fine. Same for a couple of other files today to. It has hung 3 times. They are mostly .avi files but it happens with all types. I have gone from wifi to a wired connection and it still happens. I wonder if it is the link to the WD My Book that is a problem? Does that drive lose connection causing the TV Live to hang? I don’t have any issues connecting to the My Book drive from any other device. All I know is that it is very frustrating. Any more thoughts appreciated.