Firmware update via USB port

I am unable to update firmware through USB port. Side and back port work with USB stick I am using.  Firmware update is the only files on USB stick.

At the Update Device it says Player is upgradeable via the internet.

Is there a way to have it accept upgrade via USB port?

I get this message when I try.

The device fails to check for new firmware update. Please check your network connections and try again.

I have tried to find something in the settings and Network settings that could alter this but am unable to.

Thanks,. 

Glen

I had this once and the only thing that helped was using a different USB stick.

Thanks I have tried 3 different USB sticks to no avail. 

Well now is the time to verify what device you have and what version of firmware you are trying to upgrade to

Been there done that. thanks.  WD TV HD Media Player (model:WDBABF0000NBK). Tried years ago gave up. Thought I would try again as I am having issues with 32G 3.0 USB stick but not 2.0 32 16 and 8G sticks.

So you are trying to load the latest firmware Release 1.01.77 (12/3/09)?

What is the version currently installed?

Yes. The current version is 1.01.11

I should point out that I have tried and failed with this more recent update Release  1.06.43and failed. that is why I am trying the older one which is specific to the gen 2 player I have.

1.06.43 is for thw WDTV Live.  You have a WDTV HD Gen 2 for which the newest firmware is 1.01.77.  If unzipping the contents of 1.01.77 and copying to a clean, small (under 4 gb)  fat32 formatted stick., unpluging the WDTV, insert stick, reapply power.  If the box doesnt see firmware then there must be an actual hardware problem with the box.  Did you try both side and back ports.  Oh make sure nothing else is plugged into a usb port.

The system says that it is WDTV Live HD Player. I do not have a smaller than 8G stick but I will try formatting it to fat 32 and try again. Yes I have tried both ports. Thanks I appreciate all of your efforts regardless of the outcome. 

I’m confused. The WDBABF0000NBK is the WDTV not the WDTV LIVE and you shouldn’t have gotten no message about being able to update over the Internet cause it’s got no network access. There’s two versions of the original WDTV and if you’re on gen 1, you can’t upgrade to 1.01.77 but only to 1.03.01 beta (see here).

Thanks again. I have finally upgraded to 1.06.43. Unfortunately it hasn’t resoived the lag issues with my USB 3.0 stick.

Sorry for the confusion about which Player. Those numbers are small and my eyes aren’t great. I checked wiht the system and accepted it to be correct.