Firmware 1.05.04 Issues

Hello Community,

Since the Firmware 1.05.04 upgrade my WDTV Live! stops responding to the remote control the instant I play any video. At that point the only way to turn off the unit is by physically unplugging it. While the video is playing, the status bar at the bottom stays on screen. Additionally, the status bar displays only zeroes and there is no progress bar. Once the video completes there is just a black screen with the status bar.

What gives?

I am playing from a USB key. The WDTV Live! is connected to the internet via Ethernet.

What’s the solution? Roll back the firmware update?

Thanks in advance.

RexManning, Are you using IE9? You might want to make sure that you set it for compatibility mode to avoid empty posts.

IE9 Empty Posts

Lord_Hunter wrote:

Hello Community,

Since the Firmware 1.05.04 upgrade my WDTV Live! stops responding to the remote control the instant I play any video. At that point the only way to turn off the unit is by physically unplugging it. While the video is playing, the status bar at the bottom stays on screen. Additionally, the status bar displays only zeroes and there is no progress bar. Once the video completes there is just a black screen with the status bar.

What gives?

I am playing from a USB key. The WDTV Live! is connected to the internet via Ethernet.

What’s the solution? Roll back the firmware update?

Thanks in advance.

Try resetting the WDTV by pressing the side paperclip button for a couple of seconds and then release with the unit fully booted up.

WD old version (1.24) supports its own WD Green disk. However all further versions do not support HDD 2G. Every time when I upgrade old to new vesion, I hope that WD company has corrected it…New 05.04 also does not support HDD 2Gb. When does the company develop version with supporting its own disk?

Wd_tv_live wrote:

WD old version (1.24) supports its own WD Green disk. However all further versions do not support HDD 2G. Every time when I upgrade old to new vesion, I hope that WD company has corrected it…New 05.04 also does not support HDD 2Gb. When does the company develop version with supporting its own disk?

Huh??  Every 2TB drive I’ve tried has always worked…  Exactly what model# of WD’s drive is NOT working for you?

I have trouble with this fiemware, in my CRT i watch videos with black stripes al boths left/right sides of the screen, I temporaly solved it changing in setup from compsite/PAL to compsite/NTSC an then back to compsite/PAL, I must do this every time i tuen on the player till i downgrade the firmware to version 1.04.31_B and all back to normal.

I expect it will be solved in next upgrade because now every timeI turn it  on it asks me to upgrade! :slight_smile:

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have trouble with this fiemware, in my CRT i watch videos with black stripes al boths left/right sides of the screen, I temporaly solved it changing in setup from compsite/PAL to compsite/NTSC an then back to compsite/PAL, I must do this every time i tuen on the player till i downgrade the firmware to version 1.04.31_B and all back to normal.

I expect it will be solved in next upgrade because now every timeI turn it  on it asks me to upgrade!  :smiley:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I’m Having the same trouble! I will make the downgrade too and expect the next update.

Many (but not all) of my avi files play with a distorted aspect ratio. All video shot with my Canon IXUS-80 is compressed into the middle of my CRT TV, looking tall and thin. Some movies are the same.

I rolled back to 1.04.31 and all my video plays fine again.

I just wish I could switch off that ANNOYING prompt to upgrade my firmware to a defective release, every time I turn the device on. What’s the process for requesting a firmware mod to allow this to be disabled?

Once I’ve got a firmware version that works for me, I really don’t want the hassle of being pestered into upgrading my firmware to a defective version that  breaks my player.  I actually take offence at having to Beta test firmware updates that are prematurely placed into production. I have now had three firmware updates that have introduced new problems. This costs me inordinate amounts of time in troubleshooting, logging problems with WD and rolling back firmware. Then I have to endure the ongoing inconvenience of selecting not to upgrade my device to the firmware I just rolled back from, each time I power the device on.

A late thought: A firmware mod that doesn’t ask you to update to a version you have rolled back from, but still alerts you when a NEWER firmware version is available.

Test_it_first wrote:

Many (but not all) of my avi files play with a distorted aspect ratio. All video shot with my Canon IXUS-80 is compressed into the middle of my CRT TV, looking tall and thin. Some movies are the same.

I rolled back to 1.04.31 and all my video plays fine again.

I just wish I could switch off that ANNOYING prompt to upgrade my firmware to a defective release, every time I turn the device on. What’s the process for requesting a firmware mod to allow this to be disabled?

Once I’ve got a firmware version that works for me, I really don’t want the hassle of being pestered into upgrading my firmware to a defective version that  breaks my player.  I actually take offence at having to Beta test firmware updates that are prematurely placed into production. I have now had three firmware updates that have introduced new problems. This costs me inordinate amounts of time in troubleshooting, logging problems with WD and rolling back firmware. Then I have to endure the ongoing inconvenience of selecting not to upgrade my device to the firmware I just rolled back from, each time I power the device on.

A late thought: A firmware mod that doesn’t ask you to update to a version you have rolled back from, but still alerts you when a NEWER firmware version is available.

C’mon, where’s the logic in that?   In order for you to request that feature, it’d come in a new firmware.  You’d have to update to that firmware, which you don’t want to do.  :)

Just block “support.wdc.com” in your Router’s firewall, and the prompt will not be shown.

Hi,

When watching pictures after playing a mts hd 1080 the photos gets horrible quality.

This problem has already been reported by someone. He explain the steps to reproduce the issue very clearly (same has mine 1.05.04) : 1.04.31

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/BUG-Images-are-displayed-jagged-aliased-after-playing-MTS-files/td-p/169572

Once the wd tv live is in this “mode” we have to switch off/on to get good picture quality back.

So both functionalities are working well but not one after the other…

My config wd tv live 1.05.04 - mts 1080i - picture coming from a 5Mpixel or 16Mpixel camera

This issue seems to be solved with last firmware  1.06.15 .