Error Creating ISO, DVD Fab 8. Skip, Abort, Retry?

Hi All!!

I am using DVD Fab 8 to rip my new DVD box set to ISO files. Most of the disks rip just fine but I have run into one that seems to have an error.

About 50% into the process DVD Fab reports the error and then asks me if I want to retry, skip, or abort. I tried the ‘retry’ option a few times but the error never went away. I have also aborted the process but, obviously, that results in not having my ISO.

My question is, if I select ‘skip’ what will that do? Will there be a (noticable) missing chunk out of my video whenever I play it back?

Also, is there any utility I can buy to clean the disk or perhaps a program that is better at reading degraded disks than others?

Thanks!!

Jan

I don’t know what the policy of this forum is; most forums will ban users or delete posts for discussing ripping issues. You have two issues, either a badly scratched disk or a dummy sector inserted to prevent ripping. I would say you have a scratched disk. There are a number of cheap compounds available to polish scratched disks. Google polishing scratched disks, there are a number of good guides. Google and download a copy of DVD Decrypter and DVD43. Install DVD43 first and reboot, then install DVD Decrypter. DVD Decrypter will act as a GUI. Run DVD Decrypter, it will give you a sector dump if there are bad scratches. 

hi there

iso worked - in my case  [naturally assuming you make iso for your own safe/emergency copy] using “Alcohol” software.

reply if it worked - for further/other users

regards

pawson

i assure you my endeavors are 100% legitimate. i purchased the complete Andy Griffith DVD box set from Wal Mart and I want to play them on my WD Live Hub. the only way I know of doing this is to create ISO files. also, i thought ISO’s were legit because they dont strip away copy protectiom messages, etc. and are generallly used for backup purposes. in my case, it seems as though backing up the disks is a good idea as at least 1 is failing already.

tackyjan, make sure that you are using the latest version of DVDFab. They have a new version called DVDFab 8 Qt. Are you using that version?

Addition: I noticed Scandy’s post after I posted. You can follow his advice; if it does not work, follow the advice below. I have had success making a backup disk from a defective disk.

It is very common to purchase virgin disks with scratches and mastering errors. There are redundancy writes when mastering to circumvent bad sectors or scratches but it is not 100% effective. Rip your DVD to hard drive with DVD Decrypter and DVD43. DO NOT select make ISO. IF there is a scratch or mastering error and the ripping process stalls, press ignore and continue. Once the disk is ripped, play it on your computer. If the disk plays ok you can compile an ISO from the folder using CDBurnerXP. Use that disk to archive an ISO copy to your computer.

I just remembered something else that I forgot to mention in my previous post above. This is kind of obvious but it is worth a try (if you haven’t tried it already). Try cleaning the disk with windex. Use a soft cloth and wipe from the center to the outside of the disk (to minimize scratching). If that doesn’t work, thepanoguy’s suggestion is a good one.