DNS Help

Hi, I just replaced my Airlink101 router with a BelkinN150 router. The WD TV Live didn’t connect automatically so I tried entering the information manually. When doing a connection test, the IP has a green check but the DNS and Internet have red x’s. I’ve entered every DNS I can find, the one one my routers page, I tried 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and still red x. The odd thing is, when I first hooked the new router up, it connected and I was able to watch a Youtube video. Next day when I tuned it on (and every day since), no connection. I’ve Googled and Binged my brains out trying to find something that works. Any info and help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Does it help when you set your routers IP as DNS?

Thanks for the reply but no, it still says “incorrect DNS server address”.

verify your subnet

I’m pretty sure your reply was in English…but not certain.:flushed:

If you are refering to Braumeister’s comment, do a search for “subnet mask”. If you are getting your address from your router (DHCP) it should be fine unless you were playing around with the settings. If you are manually entering the address on your SMP, you may have made a mistake.

For home networks, it is usually 255.255.255.0 giving you 255 addresses to use for your computers and router (default gateway), which is more than plenty for home.

Good Luck

-P

1 Like

I’ve tried other numbers (manually entered) only after the following didn’t work. This is where I got my first set of numbers when the wd tv live wouldn’t connect automaticlly. Please see image.

Ok try this:

On the WDTV navigate to the setup menu > network.

Enter manual mode

enter ip address 192.168.2.XXX where xxx is an ubused number in your network. Assuming you dont have a vast network “100” would be good

enter 255.255.255.0 into the subnet

enter 192.168.2.1 for dns and check connection.

No good. When I try a network connection it still comes up with a green check on the ip address and red x’s on the DNS address and internet with the message “Incorrect DNS server address”.

OK I also forgot to make sure your gateway is set to 192.168.2.1

On you PC open a command prompt/dos window.

type “ipconfig /all” without quotes

scroll through the output for the line “DNS Servers… xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx”

try entering the resulting address into the WDTV DNS field.

Used ipconfig/all and checked. Everything matches but wd tv live still wont connect.

ip address         192.168.2.2 (also tried 192.168.2.1)

Subnet Mask     255.255.255.000

Gateway             192.168.2.1

DNS                    192.168.2.1

You cannot use 192.168.2.1 it belongs to your router and based on the image posted your router has already given out an ip so that could be the 192.168.2.2. please try a higher number above say 20.

If that does not work then it is time to make sure you ahve a true/good connection between the router and the WDTV.  Do you have link lights on both ends of the cable? You replaced the router could the cable been damaged when changing? Have you tried a different port on the router? A different cable.  I believe the WDTV may give you a green check for the ip if when it does a ping of its own address has no conflice which could happen if there is not a true connection.

I guess I should have mentioned I’m doing wireless connection. I tried 100 at the end and it was still no good.

OK so you are using a wireless adapter plugged into a USB port? 

You are able to see your routers SSID and select it?

You can select security protocol that matches your router?

You can successfully enter your password and THEN get offered either automatic or manual network setup?

This is when you get an ip address but no DNS address?

I’ve had the wd tv live for a couple years and have never used an adapter and was able to connect fine with my old Airlink101.

When I successfully enter my password and then offered to do automatic or manual, it comes up with the incorrect DNS when I do a connection test.

OK well at least some things are a bit clearer.  This forum is for the old WDTV Live and Live Plus which do not have built in wireless. The forum you want is the Live Streaming Media Player (SMP).

That having been said what is the current version of firmware installed in the WDTV?

Firmware version is 2.01.86

The only thing I can suggest at this point is do a full factory reset to make sure there is nothing “stuck” in memory that is causing the box to no be able to connect.  I would do the factory reset and try the auto configuration. If that doesn’t help suggest you start a new thread in the Live Streaming forum.

Did a full reset and did everything from the start. No luck. Thanks for all your help and time. I appreciate it. I’ll try the other forum. I just got here through a Google search, dedn’t even check to see where I was. Thanks again.